Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

MBA Aspirations

by cloodle » Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:23 pm
Hi,

I'd love some advice.

I took the GMAT last month and came out with 660 (83%) Q:45 V:36 AWA:6

I am a female with a BA from UCSD in Communications GPA 3.4 with lots of interesting extra cur activities, community service, multi cultural background, languages, lived in different countries.

I have a more verbal tendency, and scored this well in the quant on the GMAT after very serious preparation. In undergrad I've taken Calculus (C), and Statistics (A), but no other quant courses.

I planned to re-take the GMAT to try and improve the score in December, but feel that I'm not as well prepared as I was before the first time, and can't fit it proper preparation along with all the applications work.

I'm applying to Kellogg, Berkeley, Stanford, UCSD for this fall in round 2

Do you think it's worthwhile to re-take the GMAT in this point? or is it a good enough score to try and apply?
Do I have a fair chance with these starting points?

If I take the GMAT later (in January), turning in the Berkeley App with my current score, but maybe scoring better in time for the other application. Is it worthwhile?

I'm looking for another one or two school options I could apply to, focusing on California or Chicago areas. Does UCSD count as a "safety school" for me? or should I aim even lower for a "for sure" admission? I realize no one knows for sure, but what does your experience tell?

Thanks so much!

forgot..

by cloodle » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:32 am
I forgot to mention my professional experience.
I currently co-own a small company in the construction industry
I worked in the company for 4 years, and led the implementation of a business plan that led to a 500% growth in revenues.
I have a lot of experience in all aspects of running a business, and I'm interested in pursuing an MBA to solidify the fundamentals.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members

Re: MBA Aspirations

by Linda Abraham » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:20 am
cloodle wrote:Hi,

I'd love some advice.

I took the GMAT last month and came out with 660 (83%) Q:45 V:36 AWA:6

I am a female with a BA from UCSD in Communications GPA 3.4 with lots of interesting extra cur activities, community service, multi cultural background, languages, lived in different countries.

I have a more verbal tendency, and scored this well in the quant on the GMAT after very serious preparation. In undergrad I've taken Calculus (C), and Statistics (A), but no other quant courses.

I planned to re-take the GMAT to try and improve the score in December, but feel that I'm not as well prepared as I was before the first time, and can't fit it proper preparation along with all the applications work.

I'm applying to Kellogg, Berkeley, Stanford, UCSD for this fall in round 2

Do you think it's worthwhile to re-take the GMAT in this point? or is it a good enough score to try and apply?
Do I have a fair chance with these starting points?

If I take the GMAT later (in January), turning in the Berkeley App with my current score, but maybe scoring better in time for the other application. Is it worthwhile?

I'm looking for another one or two school options I could apply to, focusing on California or Chicago areas. Does UCSD count as a "safety school" for me? or should I aim even lower for a "for sure" admission? I realize no one knows for sure, but what does your experience tell?

Thanks so much!
I'm sorry, but I think your GMAT will be a serious hurdle at your target schools (except UCSD, and even there it is below average.) You can try to retake after you submit you reapplication. However, if the school rejects your application before receiving the new score they are very unlikely to review your application again in light of the new score.

Would you consider applying to your target schools, retaking the GMAT, and if not admitted reapplying next year? Or is it this year or bust?

You would be more competitive at USC Marshall, Irvine and Pepperdine. Marshall also has a real estate program that you might be interested in.

Best,
Linda
Linda Abraham
Accepted.com -- Helping You Write Your Best!
Accepted Blog
Accepted on Twitter
Accepted on Facebook

Thank you!

by cloodle » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:32 pm
Thank you Linda for the information.

I would like very much to start school this upcoming fall.

Based on your words I will continue attempting to take the exam late December. I'll be missing the deadlines for Berkeley Haas, but will catch all the rest on time.

How would you compare schools like USC Marshall that you recommend to Santa Clara University, or University of San Diego MBA programs?

How competitive do you think my application as is would be in UCSD - is it fair to assume UCSD would be a safety school? Does the fact I'm an alum of UCSD play a role?

Thank you for your answers!