Profile evaluation

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile evaluation

by sb_14 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:39 am
HI
I have scored a poor 600 (49Q,23 V) even though my score in Manhattan tests was 650-700.I feel i can score better but I am planning to go in August 2009.
Please suggest what should i do after going thru my profile:
I am an Indian Engineer with a 72 % aggregate from one of the top most engineering colleges.
Currently working with IBM from India location as a system engineer.
Work ex:1.5 yrs and by the time I go it would be 2 yrs.
No extra ordinary extra-curriculum activities.
Should I retake exam or go with this score.
When should I apply think about 2009 or 2010 for best prospects.
Please reply its urgent.

Thanks and regds
Saurabh

Legendary Member
Followed by:7 members

by Cindy Tokumitsu » Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:28 am
Hello, Saurabh,

With your profile overall, you would be competitive at mid level MBA programs in the US. I don’t know the details of your career – it’s impressive to work with IBM, but the adcoms will also want to know the quality of your work experience: i.e., did you have a substantial impact, did you advance rapidly relative to your peers. You also didn’t mention your goals, and having well-formed and interesting goals will also be important. The factors preventing you now from targeting top-20 level programs are low GMAT, no clear differentiation from an over-represented group (Indian technology professionals), poor extracurriculars, and short work experience (this will weigh more at some programs than others).

Whether you should wait a year depends on what types of programs you want to target. However, from what you’ve told me, I think it would be a good idea. In that time, do the following: (a) work on the GMAT, (b) push at work to get as much leadership (formal or informal) as possible, (c) develop your goals, (d) start engaging in community service immediately and try to take on leadership roles in it.

I hope this is helpful; good luck with your plans --

Cindy Tokumitsu
Senior Editor, Accepted.com
www.Accepted.com

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Further Evaluation.

by sb_14 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:21 pm
Differentiate from Other Indians:I am pursuing CFA and have cleared Level 1 Successfully.
Extra curricular:Participated and hosted national events.
Scuba Diving Profeesional Certification from Malaysia.
No community service done .can u tell me how to abt it.
I wanna pursue International Business or Marketing as my stream.
I am confused whether to apply or give another try.Help me out