Inflation and Americans reevaluating assumptions

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Inflation has made many Americans reevaluate their assumptions about the future; they still expect to live better than their parents have, but not so well as they once thought they could.

(A) they still expect to live better than their parents have
(B) they still expect to live better than their parents did
(C) they still expect to live better than their parents had
(D) still expecting to live better than their parents had
(E) still expecting to live better than did their parents

OA B

Granted, this question is not the most difficult of types. I just had an add-on question to this. Assuming there wasn't a semi colon in the question, would a construction similar to E be ok?

"Inflation has made many Americans reevaluate their assumptions about the future, still expecting to live better than did their parents, but
not so well as they once thought they could."

I remember one of the posts somewhere in the SC Forum area, where RP aka lunarpower explicitly mentions the merit of the "helping verb" before the noun. Would this qualify as a case? as in the "....than did their parents..." part?

Another minor issue, in all cases wouldn't the "they references" "they once thought they could." all be ambiguous? or is this a case where the "they" points to the subject of the sentence, and not the closest noun? Is there a clear-cut rule/way with which I can identify when this rule would apply?

Appreciate the help.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800
k2gopal wrote:I remember one of the posts somewhere in the SC Forum area, where RP aka lunarpower explicitly mentions the merit of the "helping verb" before the noun. Would this qualify as a case? as in the "....than did their parents..." part?
hmm.

the first thing i've got to query here is the source of the problem. if this is an official problem (gmatprep, etc.), then i must say i'm a bit surprised at seeing "did" follow the subject. remember, though: the placement of helping verbs before the subject is a preference; it's not strictly a rule, and i can confidently tell you that it won't be the basis for a problem by itself. in other words, you won't face a problem on which 2 answer choices are both entirely correct, but one places the helping verb before the noun and the other one places the helping verb after the noun.

the main reason i spelled that out so explicitly is that many students don't like the appearance of helping verbs before nouns. the main reason students don't like the appearance of such verbs is because the verbs would never appear that way in spoken language - but, remember, spoken and written language are essentially 2 different languages.

if this problem is official, just mark it down as another example of the small inconsistencies that plague the gmat from time to time.
Another minor issue, in all cases wouldn't the "they references" "they once thought they could." all be ambiguous? or is this a case where the "they" points to the subject of the sentence, and not the closest noun? Is there a clear-cut rule/way with which I can identify when this rule would apply?

Appreciate the help.
this is one of those problems in which all of the choices have technically ambiguous pronouns. if you get a problem like that, your second line of defense is to go for the pronoun that's most grammatically parallel, or, failing that, the pronoun that makes the most sense in context.

there have been a couple of official problems in which every choices contained pronouns that were technically ambiguous. in all of those problems, though, all of the possible antecedents except one (the correct one) were absolutely ridiculous in context.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron