Too busty to write LOR

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Too busty to write LOR

by Sandman » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:45 am
Hi,

i have a small problem regarding the preparation of the Letters of Recommendation. I have selected 3 recommenders ( former class teacher, my department in-charge and my department head) but all of them do not have enough time to fill out all those forms from b-schools ill be applying to.( i might apply to about 10 schools and they all have their individual recommendaiton forms).

ive talked with them and they want me to write my own recommendation. they said they'll just sign it and give it back to me. I dont know what to do. Should i write them myself and just ask them to sign it?? Can i just prepare one letter from all 3 recommenders and send the same one to all the schools???

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:6 members

by Scottie@VeritasPrep » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:52 pm
I would recommend that you do not write your own letters. Aside from the ethical issues involved, it will be difficult to write from various perspectives and come up with unique examples for each letter. Any smart admissions officer will figure out that the letters were written by the same individual. Secondly, it is not a good idea to send in a generic LOR if the schools have specific questions (and they usually do).

Is it possible for you to expand your pool of recommenders? Even if they are not as high-ranking as the people you have chosen, they can be useful if they can discuss your work experience and your strengths.
Scottie Winslow | Admissions Consultant |
Veritas Prep

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options

by uncbeers » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:42 pm
I had a similar issue with a LofR request. I posted on here and someone said what about vendors or people you work with outside your company that know you well? I was very lucky in that I have vendors worldwide and used one from Europe. He was very happy to do it for me and actually took a lot out of his own pocket to send it overnight to me to beat my deadline. While I realize not all people have this same situation, there must be others in and around your company that would be able to help? Just a thought that I had not thought of before somebody on here mentioned it so I figured I would share!

Best of luck!

by Sandman » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:37 pm
Thanks for the reply guys, i will try to find someone who has enough time to fill those forms for me.