Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Please Review Profile

by cloodle » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:39 am
Hi,

I'd love some feedback as to my "chances"

Female, 24 years old

I graduated 3 years ago from UCSD in CA with 3.4 GPA and various honors with a BA in communications
Lots and lots of extracurriculars and community service during college and also after.

I'm scheduled to take the GMAT later this month, aiming at a score of 700

3 years of work experience in a large national non profit as an area supervisor, and also as a director of operations (right hand of owner) in a small business in the construction field - very successful. Management experience etc..

Been involved with various community service, for example organized with friends a humanitarian relief effort sending 8 tons of medical supplies to the Dominican Republic in 2004.

I was born in Russia, grew up in Israel and did my undergrad in the US. Speak languages, very diverse background.

I understand way to go is pick 5 schools to apply to. One which is in the very top, one which will take me for sure, and 3 more in between.

I'm looking right now at Stanford, Kellogg, UCSD Rady (security school)
What do you think of my chances of getting into the top level schools like stanford and kellogg?

I'm focusing on California, Chicago and maybe also the east coast for schools. I'm not finance oriented, interested specifically in marketing, and entrepreneurship programs. What other programs are exceptional in these areas? I'm not sure where to start looking..

Thanks in advance for your help!

Smiles,
Bella

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:56 pm
Dear Bella,

It is hard to know your chances without knowing your GMAT score. You appear to have all of the other components in a strong position (work experience, extracurriculars, GPA). If you score in the 700s, then you have a chance at any program assuming you put together a strong overall application package.

For identifying other schools, you might look at the ratings in Entrepreneur magazine and where companies of interest recruit their MBA talent from. You have many options in California (check out UCLA) as well as the east coast. You might also look at little outside of Chicago in the midwest for strong marketing programs (Kelley at IU, Carlson at Minnesota).

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me