Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Magoosh

Michael drives x miles due north at arrives at Point A. He then heads due east for y miles. Finally, he drives z miles in a straight line until he reaches his starting point. If x, y, and z are integers, then how many miles did Michael drive if the shortest leg was 5 miles?

A. 5 miles
B. 12 miles
C. 25 miles
D. 30 miles
E. Cannot be determined by the information given.

OA D.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

michael

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:32 am
In deference to Brent's concerns, the problem should read as follows:

Michael drives x miles in a straight line due north and arrives at Point A. He then heads due east in a straight line for y miles. Finally, he drives z miles in a straight line until he reaches his starting point. If x, y, and z are integers, then how many miles did Michael drive if the shortest leg was 5 miles?

A. 5 miles
B. 12 miles
C. 25 miles
D. 30 miles
x miles north, y miles east, and z miles in a straight line back to x constitute a right triangle with legs x and y and hypotenuse z.
The only right triangle in which all 3 sides are integers and the shortest leg is 5 is a 5-12-13 triangle.
Thus, the total distance = 5+12+13 = 30 miles.

The correct answer is D.
Last edited by GMATGuruNY on Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:06 pm
AAPL wrote:Magoosh

Michael drives x miles due north at arrives at Point A. He then heads due east for y miles. Finally, he drives z miles in a straight line until he reaches his starting point. If x, y, and z are integers, then how many miles did Michael drive if the shortest leg was 5 miles?

A. 5 miles
B. 12 miles
C. 25 miles
D. 30 miles

OA D.

At the risk of being that guy, I believe the answer is E. Here's why:

We already know that, if we start at a place on the equator and walk 40,000 km (the approximate circumference of Earth) due east, we will end up at the same place we started.
If we start at a place further north (say Los Angeles) and walk due east, we will return to our starting place in less than 40,000
In fact, the further north we move our starting point, the less the distance one must walk due east to return to the starting point.

So, there must exist a point (very close to the North Pole) where, if we walk due east, we will return to our starting place in 5 miles.
Let's call this point Point Q.
To reiterate, if we start at Point Q and walk due east for 5 miles, we end up at the exact point we started (Point Q).

So, if we start at a point that is 6 miles due south of Point Q, then Michael's journey goes like this:
Michael drives 6 miles due north at arrives at Point A (aka Point Q). He then heads due east for 5 miles (at which point, he arrives back at Point Q) . Finally, he drives 6 miles in a straight line (due south) until he reaches his starting point.

So, the length of the 3 legs of his journey are: 5 miles, 6 miles and 6 miles (the shortest leg being 5 miles)
So, the total trip was 17 miles.

Of course, there's also the option where the total trip is 30 miles.

Since we cannot definitively answer the question, the correct answer must be E

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:29 members

by Scott@TargetTestPrep » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:09 pm
AAPL wrote:Magoosh

A. 5 miles
B. 12 miles
C. 25 miles
D. 30 miles

OA D.
We see that the the distances of x, y and z miles must form a right triangle. Since x, y and z are integers, and the shortest leg is 5, then the triangle must be a 5-12-13 right triangle. So Michael drove 5 + 12 + 13 = 30 miles.

Answer: D

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO
[email protected]

See why Target Test Prep is rated 5 out of 5 stars on BEAT the GMAT. Read our reviews

ImageImage