00:00

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

The distance between West-Town to East-Town is 15 kilometers. Two birds start flying simultaneously towards one another, the first leaving from West-Town at a speed of 4 kilometers per minute and the second bird, leaving from East-Town, at a speed of 1 kilometers per minute. What will be the distance, in kilometers, between the meeting point and West-Town?

A. 3
B. 7
C. 10
D. 12
E. 15

The OA is D.

I get the solution to this PS question as follows,

Time taken by the birds to meet = 15/(4+1) = 3 minutes.

Distance traveled by the bird traveling from West-Town = 4*3 = 12. Option D.

Can anyone explain another way to solve this question? Thanks!

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:14 pm
BTGmoderatorLU wrote:The distance between West-Town to East-Town is 15 kilometers. Two birds start flying simultaneously towards one another, the first leaving from West-Town at a speed of 4 kilometers per minute and the second bird, leaving from East-Town, at a speed of 1 kilometers per minute. What will be the distance, in kilometers, between the meeting point and West-Town?

A. 3
B. 7
C. 10
D. 12
E. 15
Since the two birds travel toward each other, they WORK TOGETHER to cover the 15 kilometers between them.
When elements work together, ADD THEIR RATES.
The combined rate for the two birds = 4+1 = 5 kpm.
Of every 5 kilometers traveled by the two birds working together, 4 kilometers are traveled by the bird leaving from West-Town.
Implication:
The bird leaving from West-Town will travel 4/5 of the 15-kilometer distance:
(4/5)(15) = 12 kilometers.

The correct answer is D.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:29 members

by Scott@TargetTestPrep » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:13 am
BTGmoderatorLU wrote:The distance between West-Town to East-Town is 15 kilometers. Two birds start flying simultaneously towards one another, the first leaving from West-Town at a speed of 4 kilometers per minute and the second bird, leaving from East-Town, at a speed of 1 kilometers per minute. What will be the distance, in kilometers, between the meeting point and West-Town?

A. 3
B. 7
C. 10
D. 12
E. 15
We can use the equation:

Distance 1 + Distance 2 = total distance

4t + 1t = 15

5t = 15

t = 3

Since they meet after 3 minutes, the first bird has flown 12 km from West-Town when it meets the second bird; thus, the distance between the meeting and West-Town is 12 km.

Answer: D

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO
[email protected]

See why Target Test Prep is rated 5 out of 5 stars on BEAT the GMAT. Read our reviews

ImageImage