00:00

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

To understand why some people are incapable to learn from their mistakes, the neuroscientists of Albuquerque in New Mexico scanned the brains of 96 convicts.

A. to learn from their mistakes, the neuroscientists of Albuquerque in New Mexico scanned the brains of 96 convicts.
B. to learn from their mistakes, the brains of 96 convicts were scanned by neuroscientists in Albuquerque of New Mexico.
C. of learning to avoid mistakes, the brains of 96 convicts were scanned by neuroscientists in Albuquerque, New Mexico.
D. of learning to avoid their mistakes, neuroscientists in Albuquerque of New Mexico, scanned the brains of 96 convicts.
E. of learning from their mistakes, neuroscientists in Albuquerque, New Mexico, scanned the brains of 96 convicts.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Fri May 25, 2018 3:55 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

BTGmoderatorDC wrote:To understand why some people are incapable to learn from their mistakes, the neuroscientists of Albuquerque in New Mexico scanned the brains of 96 convicts.

A. to learn from their mistakes, the neuroscientists of Albuquerque in New Mexico scanned the brains of 96 convicts.
B. to learn from their mistakes, the brains of 96 convicts were scanned by neuroscientists in Albuquerque of New Mexico.
C. of learning to avoid mistakes, the brains of 96 convicts were scanned by neuroscientists in Albuquerque, New Mexico.
D. of learning to avoid their mistakes, neuroscientists in Albuquerque of New Mexico, scanned the brains of 96 convicts.
E. of learning from their mistakes, neuroscientists in Albuquerque, New Mexico, scanned the brains of 96 convicts.
A and B: some people are incapable to learn
The portion in red is unidiomatic.
Incorrect: X is incapable to do Y
Correct: X is incapable OF doing Y
Eliminate A and B.

C: To understand...the brains of 96 convicts
Here, to understand seems to refer to the brains, implying that THE BRAINS are attempting TO UNDERSTAND -- a nonsensical meaning.
Eliminate C.

If the original sentence conveys a logical meaning, the correct answer should retain this meaning.
A: from their mistakes = as a RESULT of their mistakes
D: to avoid their mistakes = to not MAKE mistakes
Since D does not retain the meaning of the original sentence -- a meaning that is logical -- eliminate D.

The correct answer is E.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by deloitte247 » Sun May 27, 2018 3:44 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Option A: Wrong
Here, clearly, no difference in the response to the question asked. A clear case of repetition and plagiarism of statement which in actual fact does not solve nothing herein.

Option B: Wrong
The use of the preposition ''To'' is a supposition herein, it doesn't really buttress the objective of doing the particular thing or action so mentioned here.

Option C: Wrong
No logical punctuation here especially between the emphatic stresses from the underlined statement. Too lumped up with little space for comprehension.

Option D: Wrong
This would have been correct in all terms so used but it does have too much complexity surrounding it especially the line where it said ''learning to avoid their mistakes''. This line could have been better put together.

Option E: Right
Here, punctuation of the lines in the statement and the emphatic stresses on the statement gave it the best meaning among others. Well punctuated with the commas (,). The most correct of all.