Elite Official Revision SC Q # 21

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members
GMAT Score:740

Elite Official Revision SC Q # 21

by richachampion » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:05 am
Because of the enormous research and development expenditures required to survive in the electronics industry, an industry marked by rapid innovation and volatile demand, such firms tend to be very large.

A. to survive
B. of firms to survive
C. for surviving
D. for survival
E. for firms' survival
R I C H A,
My GMAT Journey: 470 → 720 → 740
Target Score: 760+
[email protected]
1. Press thanks if you like my solution.
2. Contact me if you are not improving. (No Free Lunch!)

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members
GMAT Score:740

by richachampion » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:07 am
OA: B
R I C H A,
My GMAT Journey: 470 → 720 → 740
Target Score: 760+
[email protected]
1. Press thanks if you like my solution.
2. Contact me if you are not improving. (No Free Lunch!)

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by Vincen » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:58 pm
What is wrong with option (C)? It seems correct.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:15 members
GMAT Score:770

by ErikaPrepScholar » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:48 am
Hey Vincen and Rich,

The biggest thing here is to notice that the end of the sentence says "such firms". The construction "such ___" means that ___ needs to have come up before: "such" indicates that we are referring to the ___ from before (e.g. "Some schools were negatively impacted by the redistricting and now such schools don't have enough classroom space for their students" - "such schools" refers to the schools that were negatively impacted by redistricting).

Here, we can scan the sentence to see that it has actually never mentioned "firms" before! So "such firms" doesn't refer to anything. We need to introduce "firms" into the sentence so that "such firms" has something to refer to. We can eliminate A, C, and D.

Looking more closely at E, we see that it talks about "firms' survival" not "firms themselves" - "firms'" is a descriptor for "survival". Because we want "such firms" to refer to firms, not "firms' survival", this choice doesn't work. The correct answer is B.

Erika John - Content Manager/Lead Instructor
https://gmat.prepscholar.com/gmat/s/

Get tutoring from me or another PrepScholar GMAT expert: https://gmat.prepscholar.com/gmat/s/tutoring/

Learn about our exclusive savings for BTG members (up to 25% off) and our 5 day free trial

Check out our PrepScholar GMAT YouTube channel, and read our expert guides on the PrepScholar GMAT blog