Neanderthals

This topic has expert replies
Site Admin
Followed by:550 members
GMAT Score:770

Neanderthals

by DanaJ » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:21 pm
Source: Veritas Prep

Neanderthals didn't live in Africa, which is why sub-Saharan African populations have no trace of Neanderthal DNA, but other populations share DNA with Neanderthals, as discovered by a palaeogenetiscist at the Max Planck Institute in Germany that sequenced the Neanderthal genome.

(A) Neanderthals didn't live in Africa, which is why sub-Saharan African populations have no trace of Neanderthal DNA, but other populations share DNA with Neanderthals, as discovered by a paleogeneticist at the Max Planck Institute in Germany that sequenced the Neanderthal genome.

(B) Having sequenced the Neanderthal genome, a paleogeneticist at the Max Planck Institute in Germany has concluded that any human whose ancestral group developed outside Africa has inherited DNA from Neanderthals; since Neanderthals didn't live in Africa, sub-Saharan African populations have no trace of Neanderthal DNA.

(C) Neanderthals didn't live in Africa, which is why sub-Saharan African populations have no trace of Neanderthal DNA, but a paleogeneticist at the Max Planck Institute in Germany who sequenced the Neanderthal genome has concluded that other humans share DNA with Neanderthals.

(D) After sequencing the Neanderthal genome, the Max Planck Institute in Germany where a paleogeneticist researched the Neanderthal-human link, has concluded that any human whose ancestral group developed outside Africa has inherited DNA from Neanderthals; since Neanderthals didn't live in Africa, sub-Saharan African populations have no trace of Neanderthal DNA.

(E) The sequencing of the Neanderthal genome by a paleogeneticist at the Max Planck Institute in Germany has led to the conclusion that humans whose ancestral group developed outside Africa has inherited DNA from Neanderthals and sub-Saharan Africans have no trace of Neanderthal DNA due to Neanderthals not living in Africa.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:22 pm
Since this a Veritas Prep question I wanted to post the official explanation below.

Correct answer: (B)

Official Explanation: The original sentence contains a Modifier error. The relative clause beginning with "which" needs to describe Africa. The clause may not be used to describe the entire idea that "Neanderthals didn't live in Africa." The placement of "as discovered" allows for the inaccurate interpretation that Neanderthals were discovered by the scientist. There is another Modifier error where "That sequenced the Neanderthal genome" incorrectly modifies "the Max Planck Institute." Answer (B) is correct because it consists of two independent clauses separated by a semicolon, and "Having sequenced..." correctly modifies "a paleogeneticist." Answer (C) is incorrect because it still contains a Modifier error. The relative clause beginning with "which" needs to describe Africa. The clause may not be used to described the entire idea that "Neanderthals didn't live in Africa." Answer (D) is incorrect because it also still contains a Modifier error. "After sequencing the Neanderthal genome" should modify "a paleogeneticist" but is instead modifying "the Max Planck Institute." Answer (E) has an Agreement error and an Equivalent Elements error. The subject humans does not agree with the verb has [inherited DNA]. Elements in a series (two things were concluded) require parallel structure. The correct construction would be "the conclusion that humans......and that sub-Saharan Africans....."
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members

by clock60 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:37 pm
vote for B

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:02 pm
DanaJ wrote:Source: Veritas Prep

Neanderthals didn't live in Africa, which is why sub-Saharan African populations have no trace of Neanderthal DNA, but other populations share DNA with Neanderthals, as discovered by a palaeogenetiscist at the Max Planck Institute in Germany that sequenced the Neanderthal genome.

(A) Neanderthals didn't live in Africa, which is why sub-Saharan African populations have no trace of Neanderthal DNA, but other populations share DNA with Neanderthals, as discovered by a paleogeneticist at the Max Planck Institute in Germany that sequenced the Neanderthal genome.

(B) Having sequenced the Neanderthal genome, a paleogeneticist at the Max Planck Institute in Germany has concluded that any human whose ancestral group developed outside Africa has inherited DNA from Neanderthals; since Neanderthals didn't live in Africa, sub-Saharan African populations have no trace of Neanderthal DNA.

(C) Neanderthals didn't live in Africa, which is why sub-Saharan African populations have no trace of Neanderthal DNA, but a paleogeneticist at the Max Planck Institute in Germany who sequenced the Neanderthal genome has concluded that other humans share DNA with Neanderthals.

(D) After sequencing the Neanderthal genome, the Max Planck Institute in Germany where a paleogeneticist researched the Neanderthal-human link, has concluded that any human whose ancestral group developed outside Africa has inherited DNA from Neanderthals; since Neanderthals didn't live in Africa, sub-Saharan African populations have no trace of Neanderthal DNA.

(E) The sequencing of the Neanderthal genome by a paleogeneticist at the Max Planck Institute in Germany has led to the conclusion that humans whose ancestral group developed outside Africa has inherited DNA from Neanderthals and sub-Saharan Africans have no trace of Neanderthal DNA due to Neanderthals not living in Africa.
Quickest approach:

In A and C, the pronoun which incorrectly refers to Africa. Eliminate A and C.

In D, the modifier sequencing incorrectly refers to the Max Plank Institute; the institute did not sequence the genome. Eliminate D.

In E, the plural subject humans does not agree with the singular verb has inherited. Eliminate E.

The correct answer is B.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by Deepthi Subbu » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:50 am
Hello GMATGuryNY,

Humans , Human - wanted to know which is singular and which is plural .

I considered Humans to be collective noun hence ignored option E as the verb referring to humans is 'have'.

If humans need a plural verb, does human need a singular one?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:11 am
Deepthi Subbu wrote:Hello GMATGuryNY,

Humans , Human - wanted to know which is singular and which is plural .

I considered Humans to be collective noun hence ignored option E as the verb referring to humans is 'have'.

If humans need a plural verb, does human need a singular one?
Yes, humans is plural:

Humans are an interesting species.

Human is singular:

The human is an interesting species.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Followed by:1 members

by Deepthi Subbu » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:18 am
Thank you.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by abhisheksamantasenior » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:31 am
Hi,

I have a question, though. When we use the phrase - 'Which is why', does not it modify the entire preceding clause/ sentence? Normally, which/ who etc modify the preceding noun touching them. Does it hold true even for 'which is why'?

Followed by:2 members

by mvikred » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:52 am
I picked B too, purely by elimination. But I do have a doubt in option B.

Isn't 'since' used to refer to a time period ?

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:227 members

by e-GMAT » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:22 am
abhisheksamantasenior wrote:Hi,

I have a question, though. When we use the phrase - 'Which is why', does not it modify the entire preceding clause/ sentence? Normally, which/ who etc modify the preceding noun touching them. Does it hold true even for 'which is why'?
"which" always modifies the preceding noun. This also includes constructions such as "which is why". Grammatically, the following two sentences are similar:

1: The car is red, which is why the insurance is higher than a white colored car.
2: The car is red, which is Tom's favorite color.

which in both sentence begins the dependent clause. But in (1), which incorrectly refers to preceding noun "red". In (2), it correctly refers to the preceding noun "red".

The reason why you may consider this to be correct usage is that we typically use such language in spoken English. But per grammatically correct written English, the idea in (1) should be expressed as:

The car is red, leading to higher insurance than that of a white colored car.

Thanks,

Payal

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:227 members

by e-GMAT » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:36 am
mvikred wrote:I picked B too, purely by elimination. But I do have a doubt in option B. Isn't 'since' used to refer to a time period ?
"Since" plays two roles:
1: to refer to a time period (as you rightly stated)- Since the last world war, there have been quite a few cold wars.
2: to express reason: since = because - Many major wars have been averted since diplomacy between governments has been effective.

Clearly in the sentence in question, "since" is used to express the reason.

Thanks,

Payal

by TwiceBitten » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:24 pm
Can someone comment on usage of "due to" in option E. Is it correct ?
Due to followed by a clause - is this a valid construction ?

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members

by mundasingh123 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:12 pm
e-GMAT wrote:
abhisheksamantasenior wrote:Hi,

"which" always modifies the preceding noun. This also includes constructions such as "which is why". Grammatically, the following two sentences are similar:
The reason why you may consider this to be correct usage is that we typically use such language in spoken English. But per grammatically correct written English, the idea in (1) should be expressed as:
The car is red, leading to higher insurance than that of a white colored car.

Thanks,
Payal
Cant which be used to modify a noun phrase

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members

by mundasingh123 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:17 pm
David@VeritasPrep wrote:Since this a Veritas Prep question I wanted to post the official explanation below.

Correct answer: (B)

Official Explanation: The original sentence contains a Modifier error. The relative clause beginning with "which" needs to describe Africa. The clause may not be used to describe the entire idea that "Neanderthals didn't live in Africa." "
Hi Brian do u intend to say that the relative clause which can not be used to describe ideas.They can only modify a single word noun.The which clause cant be used to modify a noun phrase

by prashant misra » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:03 am
i chose the correct answer option B