While / Whereas

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

While / Whereas

by Crystal W » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:34 pm
Can someone introduce the usage of while and whereas? How to keep parallel (in meaning and in form)?
Thanks in advance!

Followed by:8 members
GMAT Score:770

by OptimusPrep » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:47 pm
Crystal W wrote:Can someone introduce the usage of while and whereas? How to keep parallel (in meaning and in form)?
Thanks in advance!
We might be able to explain you in a better way if you can point to a particular question that you are facing issues with.
They are both conjunctions, connect clauses and have similar usage.

by Crystal W » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:30 pm
OptimusPrep wrote:
Crystal W wrote:Can someone introduce the usage of while and whereas? How to keep parallel (in meaning and in form)?
Thanks in advance!
We might be able to explain you in a better way if you can point to a particular question that you are facing issues with.
They are both conjunctions, connect clauses and have similar usage.
Thank you!
Over 75 percent of the energy produced in France derives from nuclear power, while in Germany it is just over 33 percent.
A.while in Germany it is just over 33 percent
B.compared to Germany, which uses just over 33 percent
C.whereas nuclear power accounts for just over 33 percent of the energy produced in Germany
D.whereas just over 33 percent of the energy comes from nuclear power in Germany
E.compared with the energy from nuclear power in Germany, where it is just over 33 percent
Can you explain why choice D is wrong?
Also, this is another right sentence.
Whereas in mammals the tiny tubes that convey nutrients to bone cells are arrayed in parallel lines, in birds the tubes form a random pattern.
They are from Prep.
Thanks in advance!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by danielle07 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:02 am
Please take time to read

While can be used in a number of different ways. We use it, first and foremost, when we want to talk about things that happen simultaneously. In this sense, it is similar to 'as' and 'when'. All of these conjunctions can serve to introduce a longer background situation which started before the shorter action. Consider the following and, at the same time, note the use that is made of the past continuous in these contexts.

'I completed the crossword as I was talking on the phone.'
'I remembered that I had a letter to post when I was walking past the post box.'
'While I was reading the newspaper, my wife was ironing my shirts.'
As you can see from the above examples, while is particularly useful if we are discussing long actions and wish to draw attention to the duration of the activities. Consider the following:
'I'll prepare breakfast while you're having a shower.'
'While I was recovering in hospital, my wife was enjoying a holiday in Cyprus.'
Note that if the subject is the same in both clauses, a participial construction may be used, particularly in written English. Compare the following:
'She completed her first novel while working for the local newspaper.'
'She completed her first novel while she was working for the local newspaper.'

while / whereas to link two ideas that contrast with each other:

Note that while does not always refer to time. It is also used to balance two ideas that contrast with, but do not contradict, each other. In this sense, it is similar to whereas. Consider the following:

'While I like all types of fish, my girlfriend always chooses meat dishes when we go out to eat.'
'Some married couples argue all time, whereas others never do.'
'We would always choose somewhere in the mountains for a holiday, while our children always want the seaside.'
Note that whilst we would use while or whereas within sentences to contrast two ideas, across sentences we would need to use 'however' or 'on the other hand'. Compare the following:
'In the UK the hottest month of the year is usually July, whereas in southern Europe the hottest period is usually in August.'
'In the UK the hottest month of the year is usually July. On the other hand, in southern Europe the hottest period is usually in August.'
'Britain secured only one gold medal in Atlanta four years ago, while at Sydney 2000 we ended up with eleven.'
'Britain secured only one gold medal in Atlanta four years ago. At Sydney 2000, however, we ended up with eleven.