GMAT Prep The Federal Republic of Brazil achieved independen

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
The Federal Republic of Brazil achieved independence in 1822, became a republic in 1889, and consisted of 26 states and one federal district.

(A) The Federal Republic of Brazil achieved independence in 1822, became a republic in 1889, and consisted of 26 states and one federal district.
(B) The Federal Republic of Brazil, which achieved independence in 1822 and became a republic in 1889, consists of 26 states and one federal district.
(C) Achieving independence in 1822 and becoming a republic in 1889, the Federal Republic of Brazil consists of 26 states and one federal district.
(D) The Federal Republic of Brazil achieved independence in 1822, becoming a republic in 1889 and consisting of 26 states and one federal district.
(E) The Federal Republic of Brazil, which achieved independence in 1822, becoming a republic in 1889 and consisting of 26 states and one federal district.

I can't understand the reason why C and D are wrong. Please explain!

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:10 pm
bounce87 wrote:The Federal Republic of Brazil achieved independence in 1822, became a republic in 1889, and consisted of 26 states and one federal district.

(A) The Federal Republic of Brazil achieved independence in 1822, became a republic in 1889, and consisted of 26 states and one federal district.
(B) The Federal Republic of Brazil, which achieved independence in 1822 and became a republic in 1889, consists of 26 states and one federal district.
(C) Achieving independence in 1822 and becoming a republic in 1889, the Federal Republic of Brazil consists of 26 states and one federal district.
(D) The Federal Republic of Brazil achieved independence in 1822, becoming a republic in 1889 and consisting of 26 states and one federal district.
(E) The Federal Republic of Brazil, which achieved independence in 1822, becoming a republic in 1889 and consisting of 26 states and one federal district.

I can't understand the reason why C and D are wrong. Please explain!
Generally, a VERBing modifier must serve to express an action that is CONCURRENT with the main action.

C: Achieving independence in 1822 , the Federal Republic of Brazil consists of 26 states.
Here, the VERBing modifier in red (which happened in 1822) is not concurrent with the main action in blue (which happens in the present).
Eliminate C.

D: The Federal Republic of Brazil achieved independence in 1822, becoming a republic in 1889.
Here, the VERBing modifier in red (which happened in 1889) is not concurrent with the main action in blue (which happened in 1822).
Eliminate D.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by bounce87 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:26 pm
COMMA -ING modifiers:
* modify the ENTIRE PRECEDING CLAUSE OR
* are ATTRIBUTED TO THE SUBJECT of the PRECEDING CLAUSE
If a sentence involves 2 actions - one main and the other subordinate - and if the second action is

effect / offshoot / result of the main action (cause)
part of the main action
dependent on the main action
sub-ordinate to the main action
embedded in the main action
can't happen without the first action
etc.

WE USE the second verb in the -ING form...

Are all these scenarios correct?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:00 am
bounce87 wrote:COMMA -ING modifiers:
* modify the ENTIRE PRECEDING CLAUSE OR
* are ATTRIBUTED TO THE SUBJECT of the PRECEDING CLAUSE
If a sentence involves 2 actions - one main and the other subordinate - and if the second action is

effect / offshoot / result of the main action (cause)
part of the main action
dependent on the main action
sub-ordinate to the main action
embedded in the main action
can't happen without the first action
etc.

WE USE the second verb in the -ING form...

Are all these scenarios correct?
The list above look good, with one additional constraint:
The COMMA + VERBing action and the main action must be CONTEMPORANEOUS.
If the COMMA + VERBing action happens in the past, while the main action happens in the present, eliminate the answer choice.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3