Question type confusion

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Question type confusion

by neeti2711 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:53 am
The Metropolitan Cooking Academy surveyed prospective students and found that students wanted a curriculum that focused on today's healthy dining trends. In order to reverse the trend of declining interest in the school's programs, administrators propose a series of new courses focused on cooking exotic species of fish, alternative grains such as quinoa, and organically produced vegetables.

Which of the following, if true, supplies the best reason to suspect that the proposed new courses will increase interest in the Metropolitan Cooking Academy?

(A) Cooking fish, grains, and vegetables relies on the same culinary fundamentals as does the preparation of other ingredients.

(B) In the food and beverage industry, many employers no longer have time to train apprentices and therefore demand basic culinary skills from their new hires.

(C) Local producers in the area near the Metropolitan Cooking Academy are excellent sources of exotic fish and organic vegetables.

(D) Many other cooking schools have found a decline in the level of interest in their programs.

(E) Many advocates of healthy dining stress the importance of including fish, grains, and organically produced vegetables in one's diet.

OA: E

What does the question mean by "best reason to suspect"? I guess it is a weakening question. But OA seems to strengthen the conclusion.

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:00 am
neeti2711 wrote:The Metropolitan Cooking Academy surveyed prospective students and found that students wanted a curriculum that focused on today's healthy dining trends. In order to reverse the trend of declining interest in the school's programs, administrators propose a series of new courses focused on cooking exotic species of fish, alternative grains such as quinoa, and organically produced vegetables.

Which of the following, if true, supplies the best reason to suspect that the proposed new courses will increase interest in the Metropolitan Cooking Academy?

(A) Cooking fish, grains, and vegetables relies on the same culinary fundamentals as does the preparation of other ingredients.

(B) In the food and beverage industry, many employers no longer have time to train apprentices and therefore demand basic culinary skills from their new hires.

(C) Local producers in the area near the Metropolitan Cooking Academy are excellent sources of exotic fish and organic vegetables.

(D) Many other cooking schools have found a decline in the level of interest in their programs.

(E) Many advocates of healthy dining stress the importance of including fish, grains, and organically produced vegetables in one's diet.

OA: E

What does the question mean by "best reason to suspect"? I guess it is a weakening question. But OA seems to strengthen the conclusion.
"Suspect," isn't used to mean "be suspicious of" or "doubt" here. Rather, it's used to convey something more akin to"believe." If I suspect Tim is cheating, I believe Tim is cheating.

We need to look at the subsequent relative clause to determine what we're tasked to find. In this case we want the best reason to suspect that the proposed new courses will increase interest, so we want something that, if true, would cause someone to believe that interest in courses would increase.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:355 members
GMAT Score:780

by Ian Stewart » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:12 pm
This is really a strengthening question. There's a missing connection between the plan and the goal:

plan: "new courses focused on cooking exotic species of fish, alternative grains such as quinoa, and organically produced vegetables."

goal: to appeal to students who want "a curriculum that focused on today's healthy dining trends."

The plan only achieves the goal if 'exotic fish, quinoa and organic vegetables' are among today's healthy dining trends, which is why E is right.
For online GMAT math tutoring, or to buy my higher-level Quant books and problem sets, contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

ianstewartgmat.com

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:16 pm
Ian!!!
I thought you were just stepping out to get a pack of smokes, and then....2 years later... :-)
Welcome home!
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:355 members
GMAT Score:780

by Ian Stewart » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:08 pm
Hey Brent! Hope you've been doing well. :)

Just drop me a line if you ever want to catch up on Skype.
For online GMAT math tutoring, or to buy my higher-level Quant books and problem sets, contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

ianstewartgmat.com