Quick Query

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Quick Query

by Paras_0111 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:46 am
Japan received huge sums of capital from the United States after the Second World War,
using it to help build a modern industrial system.
(A) Japan received huge sums of capital from the United States after the Second World
War, using it to help build
(B) Japan received huge sums of capital from the United States after the Second World
War and used it to help in building
(C)Japan used the huge sums of capital it received from the United States after the
Second World War to help build
(D) Japan's huge sums of capital received from the United States after the Second World
War were used to help it in building
(E) Receiving huge sums of capital from the United States after the Second World War,
Japan used it to help build

The answer here is C. My question is why can't it be A? The ing modifier modifies the clause before the comma and the use of it would thus rightly reflect the huge sums of capital. If we pick C, wouldn't the sentence imply that the money that Japan received from the United States was for building a modern industrial system? Please help..

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:19 am
Paras_0111 wrote:My question is why can't it be A? The ing modifier modifies the clause before the comma and the use of it would thus rightly reflect the huge sums of capital.
Generally, a COMMA + VERBing modifier serves to express an action happening AT THE SAME TIME as the nearest preceding action.

A: Japan received huge sums of capital, using it to help build a modern industrial system.

Here, the usage of COMMA + using implies that Japan was USING the money at the same time as it RECEIVED the money.
This sequence is nonsensical.

Also, the intended referent for it (singular) is sums (plural).
The result is a pronoun agreement error.

Eliminate A.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Paras_0111 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:58 am
Thank you for pointing this out Mitch!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by Needgmat » Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:33 am
Generally, a COMMA + VERBing modifier serves to express an action happening AT THE SAME TIME as the nearest preceding action.

A: Japan received huge sums of capital, using it to help build a modern industrial system.

Here, the usage of COMMA + using implies that Japan was USING the money at the same time as it RECEIVED the money.
This sequence is nonsensical.

Also, the intended referent for it (singular) is sums (plural).
The result is a pronoun agreement error.

Eliminate A.
[/quote]

Hi GMATGuruNY ,

Can you please explain what does IT refers to in OA?

Does IT refer to JAPAN? If so, then the usage of IT is correct?

Japan used the huge sums of capital JAPAN received from the United States after the
Second World War to help build

Please explain

Many thanks in advance.

Kavin