SC - Affording strategic

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

SC - Affording strategic

by zoe » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:23 pm
My dear friends,

Please help.

please read the details of the question first.

Affording strategic proximity to the Strait of Gibraltar, Morocco was also of interest to the French throughout the first half of the twentieth century because they assumed that if they did not hold it, their grip on Algeria was always insecure.
(A) if they did not hold it, their grip on Algeria was always insecure
(B) without it their grip on Algeria would never be secure
(C) their grip on Algeria was not ever secure if they did not hold it
(D) without that, they could never be secure about their grip on Algeria
(E) never would their grip on Algeria be secure if they did not hold it

anyone can help to explain that why "it" in B is not ambiguous, while "it" in C & E is ambiguous.
I have no idea about the difference about "it" between in B and in CE

please help, hoping get reply ASAP, I will have join test soon..

thanks a lot,
have a nice day
>_~

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

by MartyMurray » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:19 am
Version Created Using B:

Affording strategic proximity to the Strait of Gibraltar, Morocco was also of interest to the French throughout the first half of the twentieth century because they assumed that without it their grip on Algeria would never be secure.

In this version there are three singular nouns before it, the Strait of Gibraltar, Morocco and the first half of the twentieth century.

There is one after it, grip on Algeria.

Given that grip on Algeria comes after it and since if it were to refer to grip on Algeria the sentence would have a nonsensical meaning, we know that it does not refer to grip on Algeria.

Of the three singular nouns before it, the only one that makes sense as the antecedent for it is Morocco. the Strait of Gibraltar is just part of a modifier modifying Morocco, and one can easily tell that the sentence is not conveying that without the first half of the twentieth century the French assumed that their grip on Algeria would not be secure.

So in the version created using B, structure and meaning clearly indicate that it refers to Morocco.

Version Created Using C:

Affording strategic proximity to the Strait of Gibraltar, Morocco was also of interest to the French throughout the first half of the twentieth century because they assumed that their grip on Algeria was not ever secure if they did not hold it.

In this version both Morocco and grip on Algeria come before it, and I think that you can tell that which one is the referent for it is not clear.

The meaning could be that they assumed that their grip was not secure if they did not hold Morocco or that they assumed that their grip was not secure if they did not hold their grip. While, yes, the former meaning makes more sense, the sentence does not clearly convey it.

The pronoun ambiguity issue in E is basically the same as that in C.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.