Profile Evaluation Request

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile Evaluation Request

by bob89 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:59 pm
My Gmat score is : 740(Q50, V40, IR 6/8, AWA 5.0/6)

Total Work-ex : 4 years

Working as Senior Software Developer at Infinera India Private Limited(Builds Optical Communication Products) since March 2016

- Imparted Domain trainings to the team and was part of team that developed new training module for the project. Domain trainings helped team understand the system better.

- Quickly ramped up and got involved in Development life cycle.

- Sub-Module owner of a new product designed and developed as part of 2017 product release.

- Job responsibilities include Working closely with Hardware, Design, Requirements and QA teams spawned across India, China and USA.

- Was trusted with a critical product feature and successfully delivered within the assigned time frame.

Spent 42 months in a reputed software firm(Aricent), and was among the top performers.

-Work domain involved ownership of Feature Assignments(Enhancements in Software functionality), Maintenance and support for the existing framework

-The teams faith in my performance- increased responsibility in a very short time, have been handed out two promotions in a short span of 2.5 years and excellent annual ratings.

-Have led(Sprint Master) the team to successful completion of 3 assignments.

-Worked with different teams to meet deliverables.

-Was assigned as mentor for new-joinees.

-Was involved in planning and executing Knowledge transfer sessions for the client and new-joinees.

-ECs <present>

- Involved in voluntary teaching to girls that are associated with Kritagyata Trust(A Non Profit Charitable Organization)

-Was part of the skit committee in my last firm. Being part of this, I directed, wrote the scripts, and led a team of 14 to successful execution of 2 well-received skits in company's cultural events.

-As part of this committee, I worked closely with company's management in organizing the cultural events.

ECs[past]

-Co-founder of a Non-Profit Organisation(7 members) whose work was appreciated/recognized by Mayor of the city(Capital) and was covered in 7 newspaper dailies(during my graduation). {can arrange LOR from commissioner(Head, IAS) of municipal corporation too.}

-Co-founder of a departmental committee, whose work included publishing fortnightly technical newsletters and holding seminars on technical topics.

-Winner of Inter-department badminton championship for 3 consecutive years.

-Winner of Inter-department Cricket tournament.

Graduation Info:

B.Tech(Electronics and Telecomm, National Institute of Technology)

GPA : 3.8/4.0

- No international Experience: have worked closely with teams spawned across countries, but never got an opportunity to travel outside India.

Planning to target INSEAD and HEC for September 2017 session. Will also apply to ISB and IIM Bangalore in first round. Had applied to ISB last year, but was rejected after the interview. Post-MBA,I want to pursue my career in Product Management.
Last Year's GMAT : 700(Q50, V33)

Please review my Profile and provide your inputs and suggestions.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members

by mcbMcK » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:40 pm
Consider the following bob89:
  1. Your work profile, though in a competitive pool, does seem to have fair amount of differentiation. Make sure you are able to elaborate on that and help the adcoms understand why your work needs a re-look.
  2. For reasons mentioned here, I won't go into specific school selection but I wonder why you are targeting European schools only? The reason is because they have some bias for international experience that you are missing and you are not at a very advanced stage in your life/career to prefer only a 1 year MBA. If not a big constraint, definitely have some US MBA programs too in the consideration set.
  3. The ECs/Volunteer arc sounds very interesting and should help you get some much needed brownie points. Overall, if you play your cards right and target the right schools, things should be pretty interesting.
Cheers,
MG (Manish Gupta)|The MBA Crystal Ball Team

Email: mcb at mbacrystalball dot com

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by bob89 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:25 am
Thanks mcbMcK,

Just one more query.

Hoe are the prospects for ISB? Was rejected last year post interview. And are there other Indian schools that are worthy enough to target.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Followed by:11 members

by Donna@Stratus » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:55 pm
bob89 wrote:My Gmat score is : 740(Q50, V40, IR 6/8, AWA 5.0/6)

Total Work-ex : 4 years

Working as Senior Software Developer at Infinera India Private Limited(Builds Optical Communication Products) since March 2016

- Imparted Domain trainings to the team and was part of team that developed new training module for the project. Domain trainings helped team understand the system better.

- Quickly ramped up and got involved in Development life cycle.

- Sub-Module owner of a new product designed and developed as part of 2017 product release.

- Job responsibilities include Working closely with Hardware, Design, Requirements and QA teams spawned across India, China and USA.

- Was trusted with a critical product feature and successfully delivered within the assigned time frame.

Spent 42 months in a reputed software firm(Aricent), and was among the top performers.

-Work domain involved ownership of Feature Assignments(Enhancements in Software functionality), Maintenance and support for the existing framework

-The teams faith in my performance- increased responsibility in a very short time, have been handed out two promotions in a short span of 2.5 years and excellent annual ratings.

-Have led(Sprint Master) the team to successful completion of 3 assignments.

-Worked with different teams to meet deliverables.

-Was assigned as mentor for new-joinees.

-Was involved in planning and executing Knowledge transfer sessions for the client and new-joinees.

-ECs <present>

- Involved in voluntary teaching to girls that are associated with Kritagyata Trust(A Non Profit Charitable Organization)

-Was part of the skit committee in my last firm. Being part of this, I directed, wrote the scripts, and led a team of 14 to successful execution of 2 well-received skits in company's cultural events.

-As part of this committee, I worked closely with company's management in organizing the cultural events.

ECs[past]

-Co-founder of a Non-Profit Organisation(7 members) whose work was appreciated/recognized by Mayor of the city(Capital) and was covered in 7 newspaper dailies(during my graduation). {can arrange LOR from commissioner(Head, IAS) of municipal corporation too.}

-Co-founder of a departmental committee, whose work included publishing fortnightly technical newsletters and holding seminars on technical topics.

-Winner of Inter-department badminton championship for 3 consecutive years.

-Winner of Inter-department Cricket tournament.

Graduation Info:

B.Tech(Electronics and Telecomm, National Institute of Technology)

GPA : 3.8/4.0

- No international Experience: have worked closely with teams spawned across countries, but never got an opportunity to travel outside India.

Planning to target INSEAD and HEC for September 2017 session. Will also apply to ISB and IIM Bangalore in first round. Had applied to ISB last year, but was rejected after the interview. Post-MBA,I want to pursue my career in Product Management.
Last Year's GMAT : 700(Q50, V33)

Please review my Profile and provide your inputs and suggestions.
Thanks for asking for a review- I'd say your new GMAT of 740 puts you in a much stronger position and that you would be a good candidate for the schools you target. Think you have a lot to offer- congrats on the improvement and also you have a year more of work which will help you also. Your swift promotions also stand out. If you seek to understand how a consultant could help you present your strongest application, please reach out to our website at StratusPrep.com for a free consult.

Followed by:5 members

by mcbMcK » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:09 pm
bob89 wrote:Thanks mcbMcK,

Just one more query.

Hoe are the prospects for ISB? Was rejected last year post interview. And are there other Indian schools that are worthy enough to target.

Hi,

If you play your cards right, no reason not to crack it so go for it!
MG (Manish Gupta)|The MBA Crystal Ball Team

Email: mcb at mbacrystalball dot com