assumption question

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

assumption question

by thephoenix » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:59 pm
The companies that are the prime purchasers of computer software will not buy a software package if the costs of training staff to use it are high, and we know that it is expensive to teach people a software package that demands the memorization of unfamiliar commands. As a result, to be successful, commercial computer software cannot require users to memorize unfamiliar commands.
The conclusion above follows logically if which one of the following is assumed?
(A) If more prime purchasers of computer software buy a software product, that product will successful.
(B) Commercial computers software that does not require users to memorize unfamiliar commands is no more expensive than software that does.
(C) Commercial computer software will not be successful unless prime purchasers buy it.
(D) If the initial cost of computer software is high, but the cost of training users is low, prime purchases will still buy that software.
(E) The more difficult it is to learn how to use a piece of software, the more expensive it is to teach a person to use that software.
pls justify the ans

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by Phirozz » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:08 pm
IMO C

by Phirozz » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:09 pm
IMO C

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by thephoenix » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:03 am
i know the ans but i need to understand the logic
pls help me to understand it
i will appreciate it if you can post your reasoning

Site Admin
Followed by:550 members
GMAT Score:770

by DanaJ » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:48 am
OMG LSAT questions are really, really hard!

So we have the following train of thought:

-companies (or prime purchasers) won't buy software that entails large expenses for training staff
-it is expensive to train staff to use unfamiliar commands
-to be successful, commercial computer software must not contain unfamiliar commands

So the first two points of this list make it clear that companies won't buy software that contains unfamiliar commands. If you reverse this, you get that companies WILL buy software that does not have unfamiliar commands, which is strikingly similar to the third point on the list. You have:

companies (or prime purchasers) will buy software that does not contain unfamiliar commands
the success of commercial computer software depends on it not containing unfamiliar commands

There is a clear relationship here: in order for it to be successful, software must be bought by prime purchasers.

Let's look at the other statements:

While A may certainly be correct, it goes a bit too far. OK, a software will be successful if more companies buy it, but that doesn't mean that a software that is bought by only a handful of companies cannot be successful. Think of a company like GE or IBM: they have people designing software for them exclusively. This software is extremely successful, because GE is a huge company willing to fork out a lot of money. It's not the number of companies that count, it's their willingness to pay.

B is not correct because this is not necessarily true. As a person who is pretty new to programming, I know that there are specialized platforms that allow you to make small icons that are easily recognizable by users.

D is irrelevant here because we're only talking about the cost of training and nothing else. The price of the software is not discussed.

E - again, not necessarily. It might be difficult to learn to do XYZ, but that might not be expensive as well. Maybe the company asks you to learn it on your own.

Difficult question! You'll likely see only one of these tops on your GMAT!

by joseph32 » Mon May 16, 2016 12:16 am
I still feel C should be the answer.