Tough one- strong reasoning required

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:620

Tough one- strong reasoning required

by gmat620 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:14 am
A recent survey showed that many workers in a certain company are dissatisfied with their jobs. The survey also showed that most of the dissatisfied workers believe that they have little control over their job assignments. Therefore, to increase workers job satisfaction the company's management need only concentrate on changing workers' beliefs regarding the degree of control they have over their job assignments.
Which one of the following, if also shown by the survey, would most seriously call into question the conclusion made by the author of the passage?
(A) The dissatisfied workers feel that their wages are too low and working conditions are unsatisfactory.
(B) The number of workers in the company who are satisfied with their jobs is greater than the number who are dissatisfied.
(C) The workers in the company are more dissatisfied than workers in other companies.
(D) Most people in company management believe that the workers already have too much control over their work.
(E) The workers in the company who are satisfied with their jobs believe that they have a lot of control over their job assignments.

OA for sure after discussion.

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:690

by crackgmat007 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:53 pm
If - only concentrate on changing workers beliefs regarding the degree of control they have over their job assignments.

Then - increase workers job satisfaction

We need to bring other reason why employees are dissatisfied. IMO A

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by hitmewithgmat » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:08 pm
I agree with Crackgmat.
In order to weaken the argument, we need to find some other ramifications(rather than changing workers' belief) that dissatisfy the workers.

that would be (A). low pay and unhealthy environment
Disclaimer-I am not a GMAT savvy yet, but I am learning everyday with my fellow beatthegmat citizens.

I AM DETERMINED TO CRASH/NIX OUT/ATTACK BRUTALLY/CRACK VERBAL PART OF GMAT. ROAR!

Legendary Member

by pandeyvineet24 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:08 pm
In my Opinion its D.

The management believes that workers have control over their job assignments, but workers don't think so. Therefore management's plan to change the worker's belief can fail.

What is the OA ?

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by yameiw » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:08 pm
I think it's also D.

The author's conclusion is "changing the workers' beliefs about level of job control". If the management already believes that the job control is more than sufficient, it would be hard to convince the workers of something that they themselves do not believe in.

Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members

by heshamelaziry » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:19 pm
IMO A

by delhiboy1979 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:36 am
Ya, should be D. A still implies what the conclusion says

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by spring_bustle » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:39 am
Hi,

Should be A.

The conclusion - to increase workers job satisfaction the company's management need only concentrate on changing workers' beliefs regarding the degree of control they have over their job assignments

If A is true and company concentrates only on increasing job satisfaction by changing workers' beliefs the company may not succeed in doing so.

Though D is true , the management still would work towards increasing the job satisfaction by changing workers' beliefs.

Spring

by [email protected] » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:06 am
It should be A..

Anything that has to do other than "degree of control" should call the conclusion into question...

Vanka...

GMAT Score:620

by gmat620 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:13 am
Thank you guys..OA is A..
I was confused between A and E..I selected E because that will establish opposite causal relationship.

by vineetbatra » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:33 am
gmat620 wrote:Thank you guys..OA is A..
I was confused between A and E..I selected E because that will establish opposite causal relationship.
E will not be right because the argument is talking about the dissatisfaction of the dissatified employees. What satisfied employees think may not necessarily be the opinion of dissatisified employees.

A is right because the argument uses the word "Only" as the remedy of dissatisfaction, an alternate reason for dissatisfaction will weaken the argument i.e. A.

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:710

by gmatmachoman » Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:29 am
vineetbatra wrote:
gmat620 wrote:Thank you guys..OA is A..
E will not be right because the argument is talking about the dissatisfaction of the dissatified employees. What satisfied employees think may not necessarily be the opinion of dissatisified employees.

A is right because the argument uses the word "Only" as the remedy of dissatisfaction, an alternate reason for dissatisfaction will weaken the argument i.e. A.
Lesson Learnt from this post is "ALWAYS LOOK FOR KEYWORD THAT SETS THE REAL ANSWER APART FROM BOOBIE TRAPS"

KEYWORD HERE IS " ONLY" AS RIGHLY MENTIONED BY VINEET.

by james33 » Sun May 15, 2016 9:54 pm
Guys can anyone give a decent reason why E is not right.