John

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

John

by jain2016 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:25 am
The management was impressed by the fact that even though John had prepared a very comprehensive report, it was presented by him in a very concise manner.

A) even though John had prepared a very comprehensive report, it was presented by him in a very concise manner

B) although john prepared a very comprehensive report, yet he presented it in a very concise manner

C) even though John had prepared a very comprehensive report, he presented it in a very concise manner

D) John had prepared a very comprehensive report, presenting it in a very concise manner

E) John had prepared and presented a very comprehensive and concise report

OAC

Hi Experts ,

In OA the second part is independent clause right? So it should be connected by semi colon or comma + FANBOYS right? SO why only comma ?

Please advise and correct me if took in a wrong way.

Many thanks in advance.

SJ

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

by MartyMurray » Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:58 pm
jain2016 wrote:Hi Experts ,

In OA the second part is independent clause right? So it should be connected by semi colon or comma + FANBOYS right? SO why only comma ?

Your analysis looks like a case of being too rule driven and not doing enough hacking.

Even if you don't really get what is going on, do you really feel that either a semicolon or a comma + FANBOYS word would make sense there?

Making sense is key.

Here's the independent clause.

The management was impressed

The rest is all modifying impressed.

How was the management impressed? The management was impressed by the fact that John presented the report in a very concise manner even though he had prepared a very comprehensive report.

David was impressed by the fact that Freddy still remembered the details five years later.

Sandy was sorry that she had missed the show.

Matilda saw that cats were living in the old barn.

Let's try a semicolon.

The management was impressed by the fact that; John presented the report in a very concise manner.

Let's try a comma + FANBOYS combo.

The management was impressed by the fact that, and John presented the report in a very concise manner.

Let's try it with neither.

The management was impressed by the fact that John presented the report in a very concise manner.

Choose a version any version.

Now put it together again.

The management was impressed by the fact that even though John had prepared a very comprehensive report, he presented it in a very concise manner.

The sentence might be better with a comma between that and even, and that missing comma may have thrown you off, but anyway I am sure you get the idea.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by jain2016 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:01 pm
Hi Marty ,

Thanks for your reply. It helps.

Thanks ,

SJ

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

by MartyMurray » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:19 pm
Sure thing, and learn something from this, something along the lines of if it seems that a rule is being violated and at the same time the sentence that has the seeming violation seems to work, then maybe you are misapplying the rule, you don't get the rule, or the rule is not as much of a rule as you believe it to be. Alternatively, the sentence may not actually work, but anyway just be careful with these so called rules and use logic and your sense of what makes sense to check yourself and any rules you think you know.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:08 am
jain2016 wrote:In OA the second part is independent clause right? So it should be connected by semi colon or comma + FANBOYS right? SO why only comma ?

Many thanks in advance.

SJ
In the OA, the GMAT would likely insert a comma before the subordinate though-clause:
The management was impressed that, even though John had prepared a very comprehensive report, he presented it in a very concise manner.

This structure is analogous to the following OA from GMATPrep:
Airline executives are convinced that, just as one-third of bank customers still prefer human tellers to automatic teller machines, many travelers will still use travel agents.

That said, I would not cite comma usage as a reason to eliminate an answer choice.
The GMAT does not test comma usage.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3