doubt SC A 8

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

doubt SC A 8

by aditya8062 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:17 pm
The spread between corporate borrowing rate and safe yields on Treasury Securities have narrowed greatly that indicates more desire for risk and reflects rise in Treasury yields, although this spread has not yet returned to its level before the September crisis.

A between corporate borrowing rate and safe yields on Treasury Securities have narrowed greatly that indicates more desire for risk and reflected rise

B between corporate borrowing rate and safe yields on Treasury Securities have narrowed greatly, indicating more desire for risk and reflecting rise

C between corporate borrowing rate and safe yields on Treasury Securities has narrowed greatly, and has indicated more desire for risk, reflecting rise

D has narrowed greatly between corporate borrowing rate and safe yields on Treasury Securities indicating more desire for risk and reflecting rise

E between corporate borrowing rate and safe yields on Treasury Securities has narrowed greatly, indicating more desire for risk and reflecting rise

Doubt: the proclaimed answer is E; however, i find the usage of COMMA+ VERB ing WRONG in option E. how can "SPREAD" INDICATE DESIRE?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:04 am
This SC seems to have been written by a non-native speaker who does not understand the proper usage of articles (a, an, the).

An incorrect construction in the OA: the spread between corporate borrowing rate
Correct: the spread between the corporate borrowing rate

An Incorrect construction in the OA: reflecting rise in Treasury yields
Correct: reflecting a rise in Treasury yields

Do not worry about why the articles in red are needed.
The GMAT does not test article usage.

That said, I would ignore this SC.
It is poorly written and will teach you bad habits.
What is the source?
I strongly recommend that you STOP studying from this source.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aditya8062 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:41 am
thanks Guru
the source is E GMAT and yes the question is indeed bad

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:530

by vishalwin » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:15 pm
Yes the source is indeed bad!

We are facing the same issue in every question you have posted from that source.

@Mitch,

I know GMAT doesn't test Articles. But still I want to understand why we need "THE CORPORATE..." and "A RISE"
Thanks & Regards
vishalwin
------------------------------------
GMAT Score - 530
I will BEAT the GMAT!