Profile Evaluation - Second MBA

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile Evaluation - Second MBA

by throwaway123 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:36 pm
Hello!

I intend to apply for Fall 2016 and would really appreciate some advice! First, some details:

Nationality: Indian
GMAT: 710(48Q, 40V)
Undergraduate Degree: B.Tech. in Civil Engineering from one of the top Non IIT colleges in India
Worked in one of the Big Four consulting firms for 2 years
Left job to pursue MBA in Marketing from one of the newer IIM's(I was a part of the third batch)
Graduated with 6.8 CGPA (out of 10)
Worked with an American FMCG firm for about 2 months, and then I got married.

I have since moved to US and I want to pursue another MBA in order to
a) give my career a boost. Current job opportunities for immigrants are in the IT sector, and I do not want to work there.
b) get a better understanding of the American marketplace and get a job that appreciates my capabilities

Extra Curriculars:
1. Was published in a compilation book in which I interviewed an entrepreneur and wrote his life story
2. Actively organized college festivals in both levels
3. Worked on the PR team in MBA college

Aiming for:
1. UT Austin McCombs
2. Tepper
3. Penn State Smeal
4. Kenan Flagler
5. NYU Stern

My main question is, how hard will it be getting into the above mentioned colleges as this is going to be my second MBA? What are my chances of receiving a scholarship?

Thanks in advance!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:9 members

by MargaretStrother » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:39 am
This is a question that you'll need to research on a school-by-school basis. Many schools simply will not even look at you if you already have an MBA, so you'll need to reach out to each admissions office on your list and ask them directly.

Once you have short-listed some programs that will accept you, take this step by step: first, you need a solid "why": why a second, US-based MBA? Was your last MBA part-time? Do you intend to work in international markets? Do you need a US MBA for a specific post-MBA role? The "why" here is going to be your greatest strategic challenge. Visit each school on your list so that you can make a good case for that particular program. (NYU Stern is inordinately difficult to get into, so unless there is a compelling reason to study in NYC, I'd take that one off your list.)

Leave scholarships for a later date; focus on identifying the right programs for your post-MBA goals, and schools that will accept you with your existing MBA, and then drill down on a handful of strong, well-researched applications. One thing you might consider here is a part-time, if you are currently employed, or a one-year MBA; I've found that many top business schools are more open-minded in accepting students for these programs, and you might find that they meet your needs just as well as the more competitive full-time programs.

Good luck!
Margaret Strother
Margaret Strother
Senior Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by throwaway123 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:33 pm
Thank you Margaret for such a detailed answer!

Yes I am in the process of forming my explanation and shortlisting schools. You mentioned one-year programs, I was under the impression that they were usually executive MBA's for those with very high work ex. Can you suggest some one-year programs which would accept someone with 2 years of work experience?

Thanks!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:9 members

by MargaretStrother » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:29 am
You're right, EMBAs are generally for the over-35 crowd, but there are also other forms of "accelerated" MBAs for you to explore.I am not speaking here of EMBAs,but rather of one-year or part-time programs such as NYU Langone, Kellogg's one-year program or Columbia's J-Term. Many US schools have this kind of program, and you'll want to do a lot of research about this.

Two years of professional experience is light for any MBA program, so you may want to look at the "average work experience" in each school's class profile as you narrow down your target list, and/or consider applying one year from now, when you have reached the more standard three-year employment threshold.

Good luck!
Margaret Strother
Margaret Strother
Senior Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me