Kinda Beat the GMAT - recap

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:740

Kinda Beat the GMAT - recap

by poodiee » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:59 pm
My version of beating the GMAT.

740 (97%)
49 (88%)
42 (95)

Unofficial grades. Just took the exam 2nd Sep 2008

Damn worried about not including my middle name for the application. Turns out first and last name are the only ones they care about.

Didn't go to any classes, self study for about 2.5 months without working.

Materials used:

1. Books
1.1 OG - a must.
Questions on the GMAT are exactly like these in difficulty, extent of calculations to do etc. I even found very similar questions, like the one with a matrix, 9 cubes, and how many routes can be taken to reach the destination. Slight tweaking makes it a new question. Concepts the same. Never bought the other 2 books, verbal review, maths review, can't comment on them.

1.2 Princeton - Early review
Good for early review, few practices. Start off with this, but realise that this is really easy stuff. Do not take it as indication of your skill level.

1.3 Manhattan - Very Helpful
Good approach on topics, different perspective, definitely use it. Gives you strategy for approaching the various types of questions. I mainly followed these strategies.

1.4 Kaplan - Not so helpful
I didn't really like the material, just covered it to be on the safe side, but found that it didn't add much to my arsenal.

2. CATs used:

Doing 6 is more than enough. Do 2 official ones, 4 Manhattan ones (cheapest way is to get Manhattan one by buying a cheap book from Barnes and Nobles or Amazon, only approx $20 for the 6 tests, but by 5th test, you might run out of 700-800 level questions like me.)

Did total of 4 essays, haven't gotten official AWA results. Should be alright.

2.1 GMATPrep - official, best indicator (2)
I got 710 and 760 for my 2 tries. got 1-2 repeat questions from OG, but didn't think it made much difference. Actual exam is very much like this.

2.2 MGMAT - slightly skewed lower (4)
As I progressed, my last Manhattan CAT was 710. If you are scoring around 700 like me, you should be out of tough questions by 4th CAT. no point taking the 5th. Difficult, good practise, best practise CAT other than official one, but still has its flaws. Calculations too lengthy.

2.3 Princeton - Not indicative
Too easy, not reflective. Its so easy and I only got 2 or 3 wrong but it still gave me like a 680. Very weird. Didn't like it, only tried one and no more...

2.4 Kaplan - Not indicative
Again, can't really put my finger on it, but a bit too tough and not so indicative.

Notes!!!
Check your name, I left out my middle name on my application, and panicked on sunday, called Asia Pearson, US Pearson, both said no problem. First and Last name is what is important. Got in, did okay. Kept telling myself "You're the MAN" haha.

Don't panic!

All this might be real obvious, but thought I should share my views.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:750

by LSB » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:17 pm
Congrats - Sep 2 seems to be a lucky day for both of us :-)

Good Luck with admissions

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by aj5105 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:37 pm
great score !