British Student - My Options?

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

British Student - My Options?

by lukebowes1234 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:55 pm
Just posted in Veritas board....didnt realize i could post for everyone...

Age 24 (Currently), looking to enroll Fall 16 so will be 25.

Will have 3 years full time work experience at start of program. Also have extensive intern and part time work at same company.

Work for small Registered Investment Advisor in Knoxville. Role is "associate" but it's a small business so a little of everything really!

British citizen, moved to US for school when I was 16. All my family remain in England.

Passed level 1 and 2 of CFA and anticipate passing level 3 in June.

Decent extra curricular.

Graduated regional liberal arts college (nothing special) 3.8 GPA, in accounting.

710 GMAT

What are my best options?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:332 members

by Jon@Admissionado » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:21 am
Hey dude,
So, I think overall things look pretty good - you are in the right industry, will have your CFa, have good grades and a great GMAT.

Now, you may be lacking a bit of the "shine" that Top 10 schools are looking for i..e the prestigious school, or huge employer, etc. which might make them a stretch, but I'd say you are a solid bet in approximately the 10-25 range.

Which is pretty darn good.

I'd start at good schools known to have finance links: say Johnson, Tepper, Anderson, UNC...

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to drop a line: https://bit.ly/mbafcBTG

Best,
JF
"Hands down the best MBA admissions consulting firm of all-time, and boy, what an incredible founder!" -- Raj Patil, Founder of Admissionado

Something for everyone:
https://admissionado.lpages.co/admissio ... nter-2018/
https://admissionado.lpages.co/50-essay ... ked-vol-4/
https://admissionado.lpages.co/case-studies-lp/
https://admissionado.com/mba/reviews/
https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Admis ... 700945.htm

Reach out, and let's gab. Our only requirement is that you don't prefer warm milk over cold milk. Everyone else, 100% welcome.
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 866-409-4753
Hit us up on WhatsApp.
Ping our satellite: 0884#&@-2#101101
Contact us via web form you lazy git: https://admissionado.com/contact/
Mostly, email Claudia.

by lukebowes1234 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:54 am
The Schools I was looking at were:

Reach - Tuck

1 Goal - Duke

Others - Ross, Johnson

by lukebowes1234 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:06 am
Are these reasonable/attainable?

Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:720

by fxMBAconsulting (Leah) » Fri May 01, 2015 8:40 am
You could apply to Tuck/Duke/Ross/Johnson as a reach schools. I might not apply to all four...choose two perhaps. If you absolutely want an MBA you should also look at additional (lower ranked) schools as target and safety schools.

One thing you do have going for you is the fact that you would be considered an international from the UK - so it makes you a bit more unique than if you were strictly American.

Additionally: Do you have any long-term (you say decent) extracurricular activities? Is your personal story a compelling one? I'm wondering how you ended up coming to the US in the first place... Finally what are your LT goals?
Leah Derus
MIT Sloan MBA 2010
Independent MBA Admissions Consultant
[email protected]
fxmbaconsulting.com

MBA Admissions Consultants & Firms - How to Hire a Great One

by lukebowes1234 » Fri May 01, 2015 10:06 am
I made the decision to come to America when I was 14. I looked around me and so very few people truly happy and doing something they LOVE. I decided if I wanted to excel and give myself the greatest chance of success I needed to leave. I began contacting boarding high schools and left for the US when I was 16, on my own. I have been here ever since.

The 5 schools I want to apply to are: Duke, Ross, Johnson, Anderson, Kenan-Flagler.

I have a decent amount of experience volunteering at my old high-school. I volunteered for 2 years in the boys dorm, helping with weekend activities. I also volunteered for 4 years as an assistant coach for the boys varsity basketball team. Then the basics like some social organizations etc. Nothing major here though.

by lukebowes1234 » Fri May 01, 2015 10:10 am
Oh, and LT goal would be provate equity, perhaps via, investment banking (M&A division)

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Mon May 04, 2015 1:34 pm
Hi there,

Thanks for sharing your background. Your extracurricular involvement is on the lighter side, but that's not telling you anything you don't already know. Given all of the data points provided, I like your target schools. As a starting point, I'd say your reach schools are Duke, Ross, and Johnson while Anderson and Kenan-Flagler are more aligned, however, the more information we have, the more confident that assessment becomes. Additional details about your leadership at your firm, undergraduate experience, and other accomplishments could change that drastically. If you'd like to give us more in-depth insights into your past experiences, sign up for a free consultation below - we'd love to chat!
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!

Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:720

by fxMBAconsulting (Leah) » Tue May 05, 2015 6:48 am
So your short-term goal for the purpose of applying is going to be IB M&A. Obviously at a school like Duke or Ross it would be easier to do that than at some of the other schools you're looking at. I would have a think about crafting your short-term goal statement to the various schools. You want to make sure your goals align with the types of recruiting opportunities the school can provide you with. Misalignment is always a red flag to the adcom - the adcom wants to maintain its numbers for the purpose of rankings (and by numbers I mean the % of students who have received an offer 3 months post graduation).

You're in the right solar system of schools though and should aim to submit R1 if possible.

All the best,
Leah
Leah Derus
MIT Sloan MBA 2010
Independent MBA Admissions Consultant
[email protected]
fxmbaconsulting.com

MBA Admissions Consultants & Firms - How to Hire a Great One