Basic Quant Skills

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Basic Quant Skills

by Brittany5284 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:59 pm
Hi,

So I've taken the gmats twice already and my quant score is not where I want it. Any suggestions on good back to basics math? I pretty much coasted through high school math with only caring about the grade and not if I completely understood the material so I need something that is going to help me teach myself everything you need to know for the quant portion of the gmat.

Thanks!!

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

by MartyMurray » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:33 am
Brittany5284 wrote:Hi,

So I've taken the gmats twice already and my quant score is not where I want it. Any suggestions on good back to basics math? I pretty much coasted through high school math with only caring about the grade and not if I completely understood the material so I need something that is going to help me teach myself everything you need to know for the quant portion of the gmat.
Brittany, I am sure people will recommend various resources, and that's good. There are certain basics that everyone needs to know to rock this test. I just want to add something.

I too wanted to increase my quant score and one thing that served me well is this. I made my study test focused. By this I mean that while I did use people's recommendations as to what to learn to prepare for the test, I also took practice CATs and did practice problems and made my own assessment of what I needed to learn and what skills I needed to develop to score high.

I am mentioning this because from what I have seen, people often study for the GMAT quant section as if they were preparing for a math test. Their study is materials focused rather than test driven, they learn a lot of stuff rather than really learning how to rock this test, and then they have trouble achieving their target score.

For one thing, some of the trickiest GMAT questions, ones that many get wrong, are based on very simple math.

Basically, an ordinary math test is about seeing if you understand and can apply certain math concepts. The GMAT quant section is full of questions that are challenging in ways that go beyond math knowledge and is to a large degree a test of skill in using resources to find solutions or achieve aims.

Also, as you are working on this, you can optimize your preparation by being cognizant of how and where you are running into challenges and tailoring your preparation to making you more skilled in those areas.

So yes, more power to your learning the math basics. At the same time just wanted to give you a heads up that that is just one aspect of what it takes to drive a quant score up.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:46 am
Hi Brittany5284,

If you're looking for free help to improve on essential math skills, then I suggest that you visit Khan Academy (www.khanacademy.org). The site is vast, but very user friendly, and can help you to work on the "math subjects" that the GMAT Quant section focuses on.

Math knowledge and Quant tactics are different things though, so while you're interested in building your knowledge "base", you'll also have to learn/improve your Quant tactics to improve your Quant Scaled Score.

1) What were your Scaled Scores on each of your GMATs?
2) How were you scoring on your practice CATs?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:13 am
I second Rich - Khan Academy is a great resource for practicing basic quant skills.

Other good options (and forgive the shameless plug for my company, I truly do think these are great recourses!):
- MGMAT Foundations of Math guide - this will give you grounding in the basic principles :https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/store ... egy-guide/
- FoM online drill sets - free practice sets if you purchase the FoM guide
- FoM workshops

Please email [email protected] if you're interested in more information.
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:19 am
I guess I'll jump in plug our online video course: https://www.gmatprepnow.com/

We don't assume that students already have strong foundation skills. So, each module in our course begins the most basic concepts, and covers every strategy you need to know to ace the GMAT.

You can also use our course in conjunction with Beat The GMAT's 60-Day Study Guide: (https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/gmat-guide). Each day you will receive an email with a series of learning activities that will guide you, step-by-step, from Day 1 to test day

Here's an outline of all 60 emails: https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/gmat-guide-outline.

This will ensure that you will cover everything that the GMAT tests.

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com