Profile Evaluation-Very confuse, need help

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Profile Evaluation-Very confuse, need help

by taruvijain » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:49 pm
Hi Clear Admit,

My name is Taruvi Jain, 24 yrs, female. I am Indian national. I have not yet given GMAT, planning to give in October end so that I can apply for second round of applications.My CGPA is 8.8/10. I am a Chartered Accountant (CA) by profession. My work experience is 3.5 years of internship with CA firm and 3.5 years with a US based MNC called Avery Dennison India Pvt. ltd.

Professional Highlights:
1. Currently working as Assistant manager, managing Inventory, Costing and Business analysis for South Africa business.
2. Worked for the optimization of product portfolio, helping the higher management to take Make or Buy decision.
3. Worked for reducing the Inventory reserve in order to benefit the organization.

I am the organising member of "SEWA" , a social community which helps the underprivileged children by providing them education.

Extracurriculars: I have won many prizes at school and college level in painting/dancing. I am the Chief editor of our office magazine.

My interests lies in sketching, travelling and photography.

Leadership skills: Our team was awarded "Model social and Integrity Award" for our efforts in developing the community.

Got many leadership awards for Driving action and execution for executing a lot of high value projects.

I have worked in various states here in India and South Africa which gave me an insight of various cultures and traditions.

Please help me evaluate my profile

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Eliot » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:16 pm
Hello Taruvi,

Thank you for your post! There are several promising aspects of your candidacy, but also a few things to be wary of.

First, as an Indian national with a degree from an Indian institution, you come from an oversubscribed pool of applicants. Many of your fellow country men and women with similar academic histories (if not professional experiences) are also targeting top programs, and that makes it even more difficult to truly stand out or differentiate yourself. This would make your GMAT score and GPA even more important factor in your candidacy. While your undergraduate GPA is strong, a high GMAT score (700+) would further support your competitiveness.

It looks like you have been successful at work, given your awards. It will be important to quantify your results and also account for your direct management experience. Keep in mind that most incoming MBA students have 4-6 years of work experience, and are generally 26-28 years of age. So, if you want to take time to build your leadership experience further, you could. As adcoms value international experience and a global perspective, your work in South Africa should also help you stand out in the admissions process.

You have some diverse interests that should round out your profile nicely, but keep in mind that the adcoms will be looking for engaging students. So, you would want to emphasize your leadership and engagement through SEWA as opposed to such solo activities as sketching and photography. If you can somehow make these social, please do.

Good luck on the GMAT and please contact us directly when you are ready to start your applications https://www.clearadmit.com/services/free-consultation/
Eliot Ingram
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]
215 568 2590

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by taruvijain » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:14 pm
Thanks so much Elliot:)