Getting ready for my first GMAT test

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Getting ready for my first GMAT test

by fpm » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:37 pm
Hey guys!

First off, I have to say that this is one truly inspiring and helpful website for GMAT test-takers. As I am getting ready to start creating a study schedule, I have one very simple question: Should I take my first practice test without prior studying? I believe it is crucial to do a practice exam before creating a study schedule, as it will help me determine which sections of the exam I need to improve on. I ask this somewhat silly question because I haven't done math in over 10+ years and know I will probably bomb the math section without prior studying.

Thanks
fpm

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:51 pm
Hi fpm,

Almost everyone starts off a bit "rusty" when it comes to some part of their GMAT skill-set, so you shouldn't let that stop you from taking that first practice CAT. You'll likely find it challenging (and you might even "screw up" parts of it), but that's okay. It's important for you to get a sense of what the overall process is going to be and to figure out your initial strengths and weaknesses.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:12 members
GMAT Score:770

by BestGMATEliza » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:39 pm
I agree with Rich. It is important to start of by taking a practice test, because then you can gauge where you are and plan your study accordingly. GMAC, the official test makers, provide you with 2 free practice tests when you download their GMAT Prep software. I would recommend starting there.

Hope this helps!
Good luck with your study plan!
Eliza Chute
Best GMAT Prep Courses
GMAT course comparison and reviews
Your one stop for all your GMAT studying needs!