Total Beginner - Advice

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Total Beginner - Advice

by krsrinath » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:15 am
Respected Experts,

I am 21 & have just completed my Chartered Accountancy (along with Bachelors in Commerce). I wish to apply for an MBA programme. My dad did his from from ISB but is encouraging me to go abroad.

I came to know about GMAT recently but I don't have anyone who is attempting the exam in my circle. So practically a total novice, I had a few queries (Sorry if I sound lame):

1. Do I need to have work experience to get into these top BSchools? (I completed my mandatory 3-yr internship for my C.A.)

2. Which is the best institute where I can get a complete & reliable GMAT coaching (I am in Hyderabad but willing to relocate. Are there online options too?)

3. Ideal time required to prepare for GMAT?

4. Can I finish GMAT in the next few months or so & later gain a good work experience of 2-3 yrs?

5. Can I work & study for GMAT simultaneously?

6. Other criteria for candidate selection by top BSchools?

My major concern is if I do not take up a job by September I will not be treated as a C.A. fresher (hence the urgency)

Thanks in Advance.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Eliot » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:35 am
Hello krsrinath,

Thank you for your post!

Work experience is highly valued in b-school admissions. Most incoming MBA students have 4-6 years of work experience, and are generally 26-28 years of age. Having a slightly more extensive job record (three years minimum) would allow you to be a more compelling and successful applicant. This would also give you the time necessary to really build up your professional profile, which would include gaining more responsibility, leadership chances, and a wider range of quantifiable accomplishments (revenue generated, costs saved, etc.).

In regards to your questions about the GMAT, I'd like to recommend our free Guide to GMAT Preparation Companies. Each firm will have different strengths and this will help you determine who is best suited to meet your personal needs. You may find the guide here: https://www.clearadmit.com/products/stra ... companies/. Your selected firm will also help you to determine a timeline for your studies! That said, it is possible to work and study for the GMAT simultaneously. In fact, it is preferable as you do not want to have any gaps in employment on your record.

If you do want to pursue an MBA abroad, another thing to keep in mind is that as an Indian national with a degree from an Indian institution, you come from an oversubscribed pool of applicants. Many of your fellow country men and women with similar academic histories (if not professional experiences) are also targeting top programs, and that makes it even more difficult to truly stand out or differentiate yourself. This would make your GMAT score and GPA even more important factor in your candidacy. Over the next few years, I recommend that you amass relevant work experience as well as take on leadership opportunities in your community. B-schools also look for well-rounded applicants with diverse interests, so you will want to show what kind of community member you would be by having extracurricular activities to highlight.

I hope this helps and please feel free to contact us directly when you are ready to apply to b-schools! https://www.clearadmit.com/services/free-consultation/
Eliot Ingram
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]
215 568 2590

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.