Chance at top B-School after mistake? Please Help!

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:3 members
Hello All,

I recently took the GMAT and received a 740 (Q-50, V-40), 8 IR, and 5 AWA. Once i received my score I decided that I was going to apply this year ( I was initially going to wait until next year). But I figured my score put me in contention at most schools. I am hoping to apply to H/S/W, MIT, and potentially Columbia. However when I started researching schools I realized I would need to disclose a low point in my life.

In 2010 I was attending a house party and was underage. The cops arrived at the party and I ran from the party. I was eventually caught and was given a misdemeanor. I pleaded "No Contest" (nolo contendre) and was ordered to pay a fine (roughly $200) and the case was over. However it is still a misdemeanor on my record.

I know for example Harvard asks to list any misdemeanors and explain. I was wondering if any one has any insight on how much this will hurt my chances or if it's just a complete deal breaker. Also any advice on how to explain it that it was a mistake and not indicative of who I am. Would I include this in an essay or just include it when it asks me to explain the situation. I feel like if i just explain it and let it go it wont draw to much attention to it.

Any advice or past experience would be greatly appreciated, this has kept me up many nights :/

Thanks!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:35 members

by MBAPrepAdvantage » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:31 am
First not all schools ask whether you have been convicted of a crime and second only some schools, who do ask, specify a misdemeanor (as opposed to a felony). So, if the school does not explicitly ask whether you have been convicted of a misdemeanor (or ask whether you have been convicted of a felony) then you do not need to discuss the incident.

But if you do discuss the incident, be honest but do not belabor the point beyond what you need to.

Good luck,
Michael Cohan
MBAPrepAdvantage Founder & AIGAC Board Director
305-604-8178
www.mbaprepadvantage.com

Please thank and/or like individual posts.

Follow Michael Cohan on Image Image and BeattheGMAT.
Follow MBAPrepAdvantage on Image Image Image.

For a free assessment email [email protected] your target schools, goals, resume, GPA and GMAT or fill out our Free MBA Admissions Consultation Form.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:43 pm
I agree with Michael here and to add - don't make excuses either. You don't want to belabor the point, but don't make excuses either. Do take a certain amount of upfront responsibility. At the end of the day, you ran when the cops busted up a party. If I had to guess I would say 75% of everyone who has ever gone to bschool probably ran at some point too. Most didn't get caught but some did. People in bschools aren't perfect. They were kids at one point too. It happens - so be upfront, honest, and take responsibility (moderately).

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:35 members

by MBAPrepAdvantage » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:34 pm
And to build upon what Bhavik just said ... first look at the ticket to see exactly what it says. I doubt it says "Ran when cops busted up party." So, how much you reveal should be commensurate with what the ticket says. If it is an open bottle violation then you do not need to add running from the cops - you merely need to explain the open bottle violation.
Michael Cohan
MBAPrepAdvantage Founder & AIGAC Board Director
305-604-8178
www.mbaprepadvantage.com

Please thank and/or like individual posts.

Follow Michael Cohan on Image Image and BeattheGMAT.
Follow MBAPrepAdvantage on Image Image Image.

For a free assessment email [email protected] your target schools, goals, resume, GPA and GMAT or fill out our Free MBA Admissions Consultation Form.