GMAT PREP 2-- quant score 41

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

GMAT PREP 2-- quant score 41

by neerabhu » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:23 am
First GMAT Quant score 41- is it a good start? how should I evaluate my self? I found my self doing silly mistakes.. :( .. How to get rid of these silly mistakes ?

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:16 am
A quant score of 41 is in the 52nd percentile (better than 52% of test-takers), so I'd say that a pretty good place to start.

If silly mistakes are hurting your score, then it's important that you identify and categorize these mistakes so that, during tests, you can easily spot situations in which you're prone to making errors. I write about this and other strategies in the following article for BTG: https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2012/09/ ... n-the-gmat

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:55 am
Hi neerabu,

When you noted the silly mistakes that you had made, did you think about WHY those mistakes actually occurred? Usually, the best way to keep a silly mistake from happening is to write everything down. For example, you might be able to tell me what 21x12 equals (by doing the math in your head), but if you make a silly mistake and come up with the wrong total, then EVERYTHING you do from that point on in the question will be incorrect. If you want to be SURE of what it equals, then you need to write down the calculation and do the math ON THE PAD.

Sometimes silly mistakes are "math" mistakes, sometimes they will occur because you missed a "detail" in the question or because you couldn't remember a formula that you needed to use. Re-doing questions helps you to improve your "mechanics" (HOW you go about answering questions), so plan on including that type of practice in your studies.

Another thing to consider is "your approach" to answering questions. It could be that you're attempting to solve problems in a manner that is too complex. Most GMAT questions can be solved in more than one way, so learning other approaches to solving questions could make them "easier" to solve and you'll be less likely to make silly mistakes.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:365 members

by VivianKerr » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:32 am
Hey Neerabu,

"Silly mistakes" is pretty vague -- I'd suggest you go back and classify your incorrect questions by 1) concept tested, 2) reason incorrect, and 3) action steps (what you can do NEXT TIME to get a similar question correct).

For example, is a "silly mistake" not using your scratch paper effectively to work strategically, or making a math error because you tried to do a calculation in your head, or perhaps failing to recognize that you actually answered the WRONG question (i.e. stopped halfway through). Each question should have a different answer.

Check out this attached template -- it might help you! Once you've identified your top 3-5 weaknesses in Quant, you can begin to systematically address them!

Good luck!
Attachments
Error Log Template.xlsx
(12.03 KiB) Downloaded 56 times
Vivian Kerr
GMAT Rockstar, Tutor
https://www.GMATrockstar.com
https://www.yelp.com/biz/gmat-rockstar-los-angeles

Former Kaplan and Grockit instructor, freelance GMAT content creator, now offering affordable, effective, Skype-tutoring for the GMAT at $150/hr. Contact: [email protected]

Thank you for all the "thanks" and "follows"! :-)