How to keep your focus up through verbal

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hey guys,

I'm noticing that halfway through verbal, my brain starts to lose focus and its harder for me to think. Do you guys have any tips during the 8 min break that can boost my focus for the entire verbal section?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sat May 10, 2014 4:07 pm
Hi LiquidFireAK,

You're describing an issue that effects many Test Takers: fatigue. There are many steps that you can take to help you better deal with fatigue: some before the Test and some during it.

Since you mentioned the 8-minute break specifically, here are some suggestions: grab a quick snack and drink, do some kind of physical activity (run in the hallway, jumping jacks, etc.) and run to the bathroom and splash some cold water in your face.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Tue May 13, 2014 5:31 pm
One of the problems that test takers face is the fact that it is not possible to go for 4 hours all out. You have to have certain techniques in place that allow you to make maximum use of those times when you really are making the "tough decisions."

Many test takers do get tired and lose focus during verbal many do not. I am one of the ones who does not. I can tell specifically what the difference is...for me the verbal is not a struggle between several answers that appear to each be pretty close to correct - as in "wow B, C and D all look pretty good on this one."

There is only one right answer on the verbal section and your techniques should allow you to find that answer without the level of agony that many people feel.

Your focus in the posting is on the break in terms of not being worn out half way through the verbal - and it is important that you get a snack during the break. But you need to look at what is happening during the Quant section and then during the verbal itself. You need to have techniques that take allow you to do what I call "recognition and application."

It takes no brain power for you to simply recognize things and apply knowledge. What takes the brain power (and makes you tired) is when you are making tough decisions between similar things. Better techniques on the verbal section can lead to fewer tough decisions and that means you will not be tired.

Do another practice test and note the questions where you really struggled to pick one of the answers. Let me know which type of questions you need to find some better techniques for. I can help you to "make fewer tough decisions and score higher."
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Tue May 13, 2014 10:47 pm
Hi LiquidFireAK,

I've sent you a private message.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich