Getting started

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Getting started

by prernamalhotra » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:05 pm
Hi,

I am getting started on Gmat, want to take my exam in July with an aim of cracking 710+.

I have subscribed to the 60 day prep plan. Took the diagnostic test with little bit of studying prior to taking the test and hit a score of 500.

Could really use some advise on self study books and practice tests.

Regards,
Prerna

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:29 pm
Hi Prerna,

The GMAC Official Guide 13th Edition is generally regarded as a MUST HAVE book for all GMATers. I would also include the 2 free CATs from www.mba.com. When it comes to GMAT Courses (and other materials), your needs will likely vary depending on your strengths and weaknesses, as well as your budget and personality. You might be able to self-study and do well on your own; most GMATers who score in the higher range (high 600s or 700+) require some type of professional assistance though. I'd suggest that you sample all of the free resources offered by the various GMAT Companies and select the one that best fits your personality and budget.

You've given yourself enough time to study, which is good; now it's just a matter of putting together the right overall plan.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by mastercap » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:18 am
Official GMAC books are absolutely the most important, there is a reason people call them the "OG". Past that I really liked Manhattan GMAT's full series. Great books, great resale value! And their online tests are solid too.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:49 am
prernamalhotra wrote:Hi,

I am getting started on Gmat, want to take my exam in July with an aim of cracking 710+.

I have subscribed to the 60 day prep plan. Took the diagnostic test with little bit of studying prior to taking the test and hit a score of 500.

Could really use some advise on self study books and practice tests.

Regards,
Prerna
Hi Prerna,

To use the Beat the GMAT's 60-Day Study Guide (https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/gmat-guide), you will need either the GMAT Prep Now videos or the MGMAT books, as each day's learning activities reference both resources.

As far as practice tests go, the Study Guide references the FREE tests offered by the official test-maker as well as those offered by several of the test prep companies found on Beat The GMAT.

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com