Tips to build test endurance with high level questions

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:730
Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone had any good tips for developing good timing and building up endurance to answer high level questions. I just took my 2nd MGMAT test and my scores actually got worse, but it looks like my performance in certain parts of the exam got better.

I don't know how accurate MGMAT's percentile estimate is on their exam overview, but it looks like on both the quant and the verbal sections, I have been starting out fairly strong and getting to 98% very quickly, but due to poor timing and exhaustion, my performance begins to drop off and I end up with a sub-par score.

In both exams, I was able to get up to an estimated 98% and maintain that level up to about question 30. And then due to time pressure or pure exhaust (on the verbal) I would get a bunch of questions wrong in a row and fall to 70% or so. Is there a good strategy to account for this on test day?

My immediate post-CAT analysis is that I need to learn how to identify questions that will take too long to do and do more educated guessing. And I need to just do more practice questions in longer and timed clusters.

The most frustrating thing is that I have been practicing a lot of the harder questions in the Kaplan 800 book and the MGMAT Advanced Quant book, but when I have to quickly guess or I start to loose focus, I make really stupid mistakes. Any helpful tips or guidance moving forward would be greatly appreciated.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:17 pm
Hi dtse86,

How long have you been studying?

Pacing and endurance issues are more likely to be improved over time (as opposed to trying to pointedly improve them quickly), as you become more and more familiar with the types of questions that the GMAT will ask you to solve and the methods to solve them.

Most endurance issues are physical instead of mental, so think about how you physically take your tests, what you eat for breakfast, etc. Most pacing problems are due to either not knowing the material/tactics or staring at the screen. You might actually be causing your pacing problem though - depending on HOW you go about answering questions. It could be that your approach is the "long way" to solve the problem. Some new tactics might go a long way towards fixing your endurance/pacing problems AND raising your score.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by dtse86 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:15 am
Hi Rich,

I actually started studying about a year and a half ago, but I had to cancel my test and put the book aside while I concentrated on finishing my masters in engineering. I recently picked it up again and have been at it for about a month and a half. I think at this point I'm familiar with the format and the question types, but struggle during the practice tests.

I guess I never thought about my pre-test routine. I have been taking the tests later in the day because my test is scheduled for 12pm on a Saturday. I also have been doing the full test with IR and the IR section has been extremely frustrating because I am having problems with managing the time constraints in that section as well. I typically end up guessing the last couple of questions and become a little defeated before starting the Quant section.

Do you think it's worth doing the next couple of tests without the AWA and the IR?

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:37 am
dtse86 wrote: I was just wondering if anyone had any good tips for developing good timing and building up endurance to answer high level questions.
Regarding time management: I suggest that you use a Milestone Chart to keep you on track. This is covered in our free GMAT time management video at https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gener ... es?id=1244

Also, early in one's studies, it's a good idea to use a stopwatch to help get an idea of what 2 minutes feels like. This tip and others can be found in my BTG articles on "making friends with time on the GMAT"
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2011/06/ ... mat-part-i
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2011/07/ ... at-part-ii

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:780

by whataB » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:37 am
With my past students, this issue of fatigue can be tricky to manage, but is something you can get under control relatively rapidly.

Without going into too much detail on the biology of what's happening, basically, your system for getting energy to the brain and maintaining focus is over taxed when you take the test.

here are some things that can really help - but they will sound odd to you when I suggest them
  • do GMAT "interval" training - work incredibly fast for 10 minutes and take a 5 min break, repeat 4x (this is not about accuracy, it's about speed and forcing your brain to work faster)

if you are like many of my students, you spend a lot of time behind a desk - get 15min of cardio (a brisk walk will do) 2 - 3 time per day.

with the most taxing hard problems - study them over and over again - to the point where you memorize the process. Why? You want to force the basic mechanics of hard problems into auto processing, it'll free up huge amount of energy on the test. (think like this, when you were young, addition was taxing but now, it requires much less memory because of where in the brain you process it)
I know these are some odd tips, but they work like crazy. Add them into your typical study program and if for no other reason than that they give you a change of pace, you'll be happy with your progress

good luck to you
Study Less, Squash Anxiety and
add 50+ pts to your GMAT fast?!

https://bit.ly/GMATdash

Admission winning essays in under 10hrs?

https://bit.ly/under10hrs

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:07 pm
Hi dtse86,

You've mentioned a couple of things that could very well be affecting your performance. Before we get to those details though, you should be sure to take the ENTIRE practice CAT (including Essay and IR) every time. Skipping sections is unrealistic and you'll end up with a score that is often "inflated" (and not accurate). Among it's various aspects, the GMAT is also a test of your endurance. The ONLY realistic way to test that ability is on a CAT.

As to your situation...
1) Since you have a Masters in Engineering, I'm going to assume that you're in a job that is engineering-based. You probably also work 40+ hours per week. Saturdays are NOT great days to take practice CATs for someone working that type of job and schedule. You're likely "burned out" from the week's work and you won't be at your best on a Saturday morning (or early afternoon). You might consider taking Saturday "off" and taking your CATs on Sunday.

2) Most people do their best work "early in the day" and "early in the week." That means that a Monday morning-ish CAT will probably showcase your best thinking. While it's not convenient for most people to practice in this way, you have to ask yourself what you're willing to do to score at a high level. The 700 GMAT score is the 90th percentile - it means that 90% of Test Takers either CAN'T or WON'T do what it takes to earn that score.

3) Most Test Takers get "rattled" a bit by the IR section, so you're not alone. It's in your best interest to "stay loose" and not get bogged down by that section of the Test. Most US Business Schools have publicly stated that they do not use an applicant's IR score to evaluate the applicant, so you shouldn't be expending too much mental or emotional energy on this section. You still have to complete it though, so do what you can, but don't get overly committed any part of the IR section.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by dtse86 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:02 pm
@whataB

Thanks for the tips. I'm actually switching my weekday strategy to short 1-2hr sessions with only 20-25 questions at a time with answer and concept review taking up 60% of that. I also realized that I tend to have more energy when I've been active and working out. I've been trying to get back to the gym so that overall my energy level can remain high, but consistency is still a work in progress.

@Rich.C

I think you hit the nail on the head with your points. However, I have a personal goal of still scoring above a 6 on the IR and still believe the score may matter in the future. So it can get frustrating when I have to guess for a large number of the questions in that section although I know I can solve them with a little more time. Thanks for the advice and I just hope things get better from here...

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:192 members
GMAT Score:780

by Bill@VeritasPrep » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:48 pm
Brent@GMATPrepNow wrote:
Also, early in one's studies, it's a good idea to use a stopwatch to help get an idea of what 2 minutes feels like.
I strongly recommend this to my students as well.
Join Veritas Prep's 2010 Instructor of the Year, Matt Douglas for GMATT Mondays

Visit the Veritas Prep Blog

Try the FREE Veritas Prep Practice Test