N/A

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

N/A

by astori17 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:01 pm
N/A
Last edited by astori17 on Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:10 am, edited 3 times in total.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:22 pm
Hi astori17,

Business Schools don't really care if you retake the GMAT, so retesting is not a big deal. You can actually "sell yourself" by showing your dedication to the process and by showing improvement. Also, Business Schools know that not everyone is a great Test Taker, which is why the application process is 6 or 7 pieces (the 7th piece is the interview; some schools offer it, some don't).

For the Top-10 Schools, your score is probably outside the acceptable range, although you'd receive more specific information from an Admissions Consultant.

As to your questions, most Business Schools will take your Highest GMAT score (or your Most Recent GMAT Score, depending on the circumstances). It's unlikely that a school would average your scores, although it may have happened in the past in some rare circumstances. So it's not game over. I'd say that however you approached your studies (whichever materials you used) were NOT enough to help you earn the score that you wanted, so you have to try some new resources. The GMAT is a standardized Test, which means that it is beatable. You just haven't learned enough yet to properly beat it.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:59 am
Veritas Prep has one of the largest staffs of expert admissions consultants. Some of these consultants are former admissions officers at 10 top business schools and what I understand is that if you are going to take the test 5 times, the committee would like to see some improvement and not the sense that you are taking it over and over and hoping to "get lucky."

This is not to say that they will average your scores, but rather that they want to get a sense that your commitment and hard work is coupled with the ability to improve.

You had the improvement between test 1 and 2 and you went from below the 50th percentile to above it. But then on the third test you stayed in the same place, just above the median score.

Realistically, you will need to improve that score in order to be competitive. You would want to get above 600 on your next exam and it sounds like you have identified the areas of verbal where you need to focus.

You are not in a "deadlock" as you say. You can still reach the point where you want to be. I agree that jumping right to a 700+ on the next test would be tough. Work hard, show some improvement on the next exam and you will be looking in the right direction.

Here is an article that I wrote that seems very appropriate to your situation. If you want to earn an MBA you must not allow doubt to enter your thinking! https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2013/01/ ... n-the-gmat
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

N/A

by astori17 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:21 pm
N/A
Last edited by astori17 on Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:21 am, edited 4 times in total.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:50 pm
Hi astori17,

You should post this in the Admissions Forum on this site; the experts there should be able to offer you some perspective. Your latest GMAT score is a strong one and puts you in position to apply to any Business School that you're interested in. Whether a Business School considers the number of attempts a negative factor or non-factor is really irrelevant, since I assume that you're going to apply regardless. If you're considered by your number of attempts, then you should think about how you can explain it or spin the situation positively (e.g. you don't give up).

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:23 pm
Congratulations!!!

In my opinion you score should be seen in a good light, but I am not the admissions expert. I will say that I have been told by an admissions official at a top 5 program that if you are going to take the GMAT 5 times your score had better improve so that we see that you are not just hoping to get a lucky score. Well your score has gone up nearly 200 points and it has never gone down so I would say that you are in the clear!

By the way, I wanted to thank you for this feedback we are always looking to improve our tests and this really helps to know that it is paying off.
I would also like to thank for the Veritas Prep's practice tests(1st try: 690[Q49, V36], 2nd try 680[Q49, V35] yesterday) and free practice problems, after I used up all GMAT PREP and MGMAT tests. Veritas prep's practice tests were very similar to actual GMAT test problems in terms of difficulty and rating were very accurate. It helps oversea test taker like me.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course