Venn Diagram,set of 3

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Venn Diagram,set of 3

by veenu08 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:37 am
a group of friends participate in some curriculum,20 of them practice yoga,10 atudy cooking,12 study weaving,3 of them study cooking only,4 of them study both the cooking and yoga,2 of them participate all curriculums.How any people study both cooking and weaving?
A.1
B.2
C.3
D.4
E.5

OA- A
Why not c

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:21 am
The problem is poorly worded.
It intends to ask the following:
20 of the students study yoga, 10 study cooking, and 12 study weaving. 3 of the students study cooking only, 4 of them study both cooking and yoga but not weaving, while 2 of them study all 3 subjects. How any students study both cooking and weaving but not yoga?

A.1
B.2
C.3
D.4
E.5
Inserting the given information into a Venn Diagram yields that CW = 1, as shown by the value in BLUE below:

The correct answer is A.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by chandannkrishna » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:57 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:The problem is poorly worded.
20 of the students study yoga, 10 study cooking, and 12 study weaving. 3 of the students study cooking only, 4 of them study both cooking and yoga but not weaving, while 2 of them study all 3 subjects. How any students study both cooking and weaving but not yoga?

A.1
B.2
C.3
D.4
E.5
Inserting the given information into a Venn Diagram yields that CW = 1, as shown by the value in BLUE below:

The correct answer is A.

Hi Mitch,
Since 2 of them study all three subject, aren't we suppose to subtract that from the group that studies both cooking and yoga.
i.e group studying both cooking and yoga = given data (4) - group studying all three (2) = 2

Thanks

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:53 pm
chandannkrishna wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:The problem is poorly worded.

A.1
B.2
C.3
D.4
E.5
Hi Mitch,
Since 2 of them study all three subject, aren't we suppose to subtract that from the group that studies both cooking and yoga.
i.e group studying both cooking and yoga = given data (4) - group studying all three (2) = 2

Thanks
Given that the OA is A, the problem intends that the 2 students who study all 3 subjects are not included among the 4 who study both cooking and yoga.
Note the red phrases above.
In my original post, I added these phrases to clarify the intent of the problem.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3