Need feedback on Veritas critical reasoning 2

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Need feedback on Veritas critical reasoning 2

by gb » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:55 pm
Hi,

I am using the Veritas critical reasoning 2 book but I feel the questions are a little offbeat. I just wanted to know if anyone has an opinion about this book. Also, I have exhausted the OG 12 and need some advise on additional questions for CR. I am not sure if the 1000 series would be a good resource.

Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks,
gb

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by theperegrine » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:53 pm
Try OG10 and LSAT Qs, if you can lay hands on them. LSAT is a bit tougher, but it prepares you better.

Followed by:2 members

by dentobizz » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:00 pm
All LSAT questions are not similar to GMAT questions since they use formal logic which isn't tested on the Gmat. So, it is best to avoid them since practising from them isn't going to help.
Best practice sources would be official questions-OG,Verbal review,gmat paper tests,Gmat prep, QP1, and Exam pack

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:40 pm
As someone who has advised students on how to use the LSAT to study for the GMAT, let me say that The first two posts to this topic were in April 2012. Since that time many new resources have come out making LSAT questions less necessary for many people.

Some of those new GMAT-specific resources are:

The GMATPrep Pack 1 add-on is a very exciting edition available for purchase from GMAC. Hundreds of new questions delivered on the computer. Practicing questions on the computer is a more realistic way to practice.

Speaking of attempting questions on the computer,the FREE Veritas Prep question bank https://www.veritasprep.com/gmat-question-bank/ is a great resource for GMAT-specific questions.

Two new CAT exams for purchase from GMAC -- Exam Pack 1 add-on. Two more official practice tests.

The FREE Veritas Prep practice test has been showing very reliable results for people. Link for this test is at the bottom of my signature line.

In addition, since this original post was about Veritas Prep books, there is a new set of books available from Veritas since this 2012 posting was written. Here is the link to these books on amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Veritas-Prep-Comp ... +prep+gmat

In addition of course, the official materials available in 2012 are still pretty great:
Official Guide 13th edition, Quant Review 2nd edition, Verbal Review 2nd edition, GMATPrep.

These GMAT specific resources can be preferable to LSAT questions. And there are literally thousands of GMAT questions represented by these materials. However, many people may still run out of official questions or may want to benefit from the difficulty level of LSAT questions.

I recently had a student write this to me:
Want to convey my sincere thanks to you. I recently took my GMAT and scored a 760(q50 v44). Your articles on LSAT were immensely helpful and helped a lot in taking my verbal skills to the next level. Smile
If you want to know more about the limitations of using LSAT questions - as well as suggestions for how to use them properly - you can read the article "Using the LSAT to Study for the GMAT." https://www.beatthegmat.com/lsat-to-stud ... 15-30.html
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

by dentobizz » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:33 am
I agree with you David,since the new resources have come out the LSAT questions have become unnecessary.
A similar discussion here https://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/lsa ... t3140.html

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:34 pm
I did not quite say that LSAT materials are totally unnecessary for everyone. I do certainly agree that it should be GMAT-specific materials for most test-takers.

The only time the that LSAT materials should even be considered is when someone is A) Going for a JD - MBA degree in the US (in which case study the LSAT verbal first and then the GMAT) B) Has run out of GMAT-specific materials and wants to see new questions rather than going over old ones yet another time. C) Is really good at critical reasoning - thinks that it is fun - and wants a challenge.

For the regular test-taker I agree with you and with what Ron says in the post you quoted. You are taking the GMAT, study for the GMAT!
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

by dentobizz » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:40 pm
Thanks for the perspective David. I had never thought about the issue with JD/Dual degree students in mind.