What would be the MUST KNOW concepts for a 610 Gmat Score?

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi All,

I just need to get a 610 points on the Gmat, currently I am at 490 (Q39 - V20), after almost 6 month of preparation with no major improvements.

I am desperate for some help, I still have two more months to go for preparing my self before test day.

Please if someone can tell me which are the concept that are a MUST KNOW that I need to master in order to get that score I would really appreciate it

Thanks!

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:57 am
There is no magic list of concepts that you must know. A 610 is a pretty good score. It is above 2/3 of all test takers. A 490 is above 1/3 of all test-takers.

The difference between a 490 and 610 is that you must know ALL of the basics such as equations and formulas and sentence correction grammar in order to get above 600, but you also must know how to apply these facts to the exam.

It is clear that the verbal section is where you are weakest. Are there areas of verbal that you are more comfortable with? Which areas need the most work. You can get the Quant section high enough to do its part for a 610. But that verbal section needs to come up considerably in order for it to happen.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:03 am
It's important to recognize that your conceptual knowledge may be only partially responsible for your 490 score. It may be the case that you make a lot of silly mistakes, or it may be the case that your test-taking skills (time management, endurance, anxiety management) are lacking.

To determine where you need to improve, you need to carefully analyze your practice tests. While analyzing your practice tests, there are four main areas of weakness you should watch out for:
1. specific Quant skills/concepts (e.g., algebra, standard deviation, etc.)
2. specific Verbal skills/concepts (e.g., verb tenses, assumption CR questions, etc.)
3. test-taking skills (time management, endurance, anxiety etc.)
4. silly mistakes

For the first two weaknesses, the fix is pretty straightforward. Learn the concept/skill and find some practice questions to strengthen that weakness. To focus on one topic at a time, you can use BTG's tagging feature to isolate one concept. For example, here are all of the questions tagged as statistics questions: https://www.beatthegmat.com/forums/tags/ ... statistics
See the left side of that linked page for more tag options.

If your test-taking skills are holding you back, then you need to work on these. For example, we have a free GMAT time management video at https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gener ... es?id=1244. Then you should hone your test-taking skills by taking more practice tests.

Finally, if silly mistakes are hurting your score, then it's important that you identify and categorize these mistakes during your prep so that, during tests, you can easily spot situations in which you're prone to making errors. I write about this and other strategies in the following article for BTG: https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2012/09/ ... n-the-gmat

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:09 am
When students are really pressed for time (e.g., they absolutely MUST write the test in 2 weeks or less) I typically suggest that they focus on concepts that have the greatest return on investment (ROI). These are concepts that are tested frequently and require the least amount of time to learn. In my opinion, these concepts are:
- Sentence Correction
- Data Sufficiency strategies
- Percent
- Integer Properties
- Powers/roots
- Algebra
- Geometry

I say this because I see students spending tons of time agonizing over concepts like Probability and Counting, when these concepts are not tested nearly as frequently as other concepts.

CR and RC questions probably have the lowest ROI. I'm not saying that you shouldn't prepare for them; I'm just saying that improvements take a long time, especially for non-native English speakers. For CR, be sure you understand the various question types.

Of course, you still have 2 months to prepare, so I think you have time to work on ALL aspects of the GMAT.

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by jesus09 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:22 pm
Thanks Brent and David

Your advises are very well received, I still have two months to go to practice and prepare, the most dificult thing for me is to allocate a good one or two hours per day of quality time. family and work are very demanding so that is why i want to keep my study as focus as posible

Thanks!
Jesus