Non-Existant Extra Curriculars and Top 5-10 Program? (Tuck)

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi All,

I am looking to apply for MBA programs in the fall/winter of 2014 (about a full year from now). I am giving myself plenty of time to study and hopefully will land somewhere in the mid 700s for the GMAT.

My current profile is such:

28 year old white male - living in/grew up in Boston

3.7 GPA in Finance from UMass Amherst

2 years experience as a senior financial analyst (corp. finance) at a medium sized healthcare IT firm. I currently manage one new hire and will have approximately a year of management experience when I apply. In my 2 years, I have been promoted, given several raises, and received the highest allowed performance reviews and performance bonuses in the company. I have also mastered SQL, VBA and have exceptional tech skills for a business guy. I believe my work recommendations will be outstanding.

Zero extra curriculars for most of my life. I have always loved playing video games on my PC and just taking walks with my girlfriend and dog. I haven't been a significant member of any club or sports team in my life, and have never done any community service of any kind.

Outside of the glaring problem with my extras, my social graces are probably a little lacking. I am generally well dressed and well spoken, but I have a terrible filter and say stuff that I really shouldn't.

My major questions are as follows:
If I make a serious push to get involved in extra curriculars in the next year, will they be considered or would it be seen as fake and false?
Will non-target school, non-target firm and no extras kill my ability to get into a top 10 school if I had a GMAT in the 700s, a 3.7 GPA and solid work recomendations/experience?

Based on the research I've done, I really like the vibe I'm getting from Tuck, but I'm having a very difficult time telling if I am a top 5 candidate, top 10 candidate, top 15 candidate or top 20 candidate, even with top GMAT scores.

My school list as it stands would probably be as follows:

Tuck - 10
Wharton - 10

----
MIT - 8
Kellogg - 7
Fuqua - 6

I do realize that these aren't in the order of how most people would rank the top schools, but based on the reading I've done, I think that's how I stack them up.

Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated. I'd really like to get more of a baseline for what I need to work on before I begin this journey.

Thanks in advance,

Eric