My verbal section really Need help�one month left

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
I just planned to take the gmat yesterday. Because most graduation school's application deadline for international students is on Jan. 2014. To get an official score, I have to take the test on Dec. I did a diagnostic test without any preparation last night, and I got Q44 V22. Since I am not a native English speaker, the verbal part is pretty hard for me. I did some practices after doing diagnostic test. I really didnt see any improvement. There are a lot of unknown words. Especially for reading comprehension, I hardly to understand the entire article. I really need some advices!! The books I planned to use are:
--OG review 13rd edition.
--OG verbal review 2nd.
--OG Quantitative review 2nd.
--Manhattan gmat three verbal books.
I ordered all book online, and will get them in 2 days. I think my quantitative section should be fine. So I didn't buy much practice for quantitative part. Please give me your valuable advices!! Thanks. Btw: is there any good meterials for review essays? If u know some, please let me know. I planned to spend 2 days to prepare essay and IR.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:365 members

by VivianKerr » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:03 am
Hi there,

So if you need to take the test by December's end, it's definitely going to be a packed 6 weeks of studying. You can get pretty far with Verbal if you can memorize the grammar rules of Sentence Correction, which should be the easiest (less reading intensive) of the 3 Verbal Q-types for you. However, CR and RC are going to be tougher, and require a LOT of consistent work.

I suggest completing MGMAT's Sentence Correction and Powerscore CR. For RC, you'll need to improve your overall English-reading comprehension (I'd suggest 30 min a day of reading The Economist, or comparable text), your ability to "active read" the passages (picking out transition words, noting the author's tone, etc.), and your RC strategy (note-taking, breaking down questions, making effective predictions, process of elimination, etc.). You may need to work with a tutor for a couple hours to make sure you've got a cemented RC approach that works for you.

For IR and AWA, I don't think you need another book. There's plenty of free material, prompts, and practice questions online. However, you might want to rotate IR into your Quant sessions -- cramming it into two days will be a bit jarring. Here's a template I'd suggest for the AWA:

Paragraph 1 - Introduction (3-4 sentences)

Like a Critical Reasoning passage, before you begin writing you will need to understand the Conclusion, Evidence, and underlying Assumptions in the argument. Do not use self-reference, or the words "I agree" or "I disagree" anywhere in your essay. You will absolutely use phrases like "the argument" and "the author" but you want your statements to come across as accepted fact, not the small opinions of once person.

Your main task in your introduction is to show you understand the premise. Restate it in your own words.

- Introduce the timeliness of the argument's topic
- Describe the argument in your own words
- State emphatically that the argument is flawed.

For example, your introduction could take a form like this:

The issue of _______ is as timely as ever. Recently, _________. Regarding this issue, the author of the argument claims __________. He suggests that _________.Though the underlying issue certainly has merit, because of a lack of evidence, weak assumptions, and vague language the author's argument is unsubstantiated and deeply flawed.

You do not have to list your three examples in your thesis, but it can be a nice way of clarifying for the reader what you will be discussing.

Paragraph 2 - "Lack of Evidence" (4-6 sentences)

Almost every Argument can be criticized for a lack of evidence. If evidence is provided, how can you explain that it is confusing, unrelated, or unsubstantiated?

Paragraph 3 - "Weak Assumption" (4-6 sentences)

What is the author assuming to be true? Show the reader you can see the gaps in logic between the weak evidence provided and the conclusion. Use very clear transition words between your body paragraphs.

Paragraph 4 - "Vague Language" (4-6 sentences)

Use a transition phrase again, then attack the specific terminology the author utilizes in the argument. How many is "many"? Who exactly does he mean by "most"? Here you will be using the author's own rhetorical construction against him.

Paragraph 5 - How to Strengthen (2-4 sentences)

In your conclusion, introduce a few ways the author could improve his argument, other than the three flaws you have already discussed. Reinforce the idea that there is SOME merit in the issue underlying the author's argument, but not nearly enough as it to be convincing. Here's an outline:

Although as written the argument is categorically unconvincing, the author could strengthen his position were he to _________, and _________. If he _____________, then the argument's reasoning would be significantly improved. However, without these changes, the argument is implausible and the reasoning faulty.
Vivian Kerr
GMAT Rockstar, Tutor
https://www.GMATrockstar.com
https://www.yelp.com/biz/gmat-rockstar-los-angeles

Former Kaplan and Grockit instructor, freelance GMAT content creator, now offering affordable, effective, Skype-tutoring for the GMAT at $150/hr. Contact: [email protected]

Thank you for all the "thanks" and "follows"! :-)

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by sandijyq » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:27 pm
Hi, Vivian,
thanks for your advice. I am so appreciated. I will definitely memorize the essay format u mentioned. that looks so helpful and useful. thus, I'll search some other relevant essay ideas before taking the test. I saw i always confused between two choices of a RC problem. but i will try to figure it out.