Please evaluate my profile.

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Please evaluate my profile.

by jmihoc » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:17 pm
I would appreciate it if someone could take a look at my profile. I will be applying to evening programs in the DC area this Fall.

GPA
- Undergrad - 3.0 overall, 3.57 for the last 60 credits, I didn't do so well my first two years, I will most likely use the optional essay to explain my GPA.
- Graduate - 3.42 M.S. in Information Systems. How does this figure into my GPA, is it averaged into the undergrad or counted seperately?
- Both undergrad and graduate are from regional public schools

GMAT - I haven't taken the GMAt yet but I have been scoring 630-650 on my practice tests.

Experience - 6 years, at time of matriculation, in government contracting/IT industry. I work as a contractor for the U.S. State department and I am the team lead for 3 Database Engineers, we manage a mid-to-large sized production system for the Consular Affairs Bureau. I have won a couple of awards both from the company I work for and our customer (Consular Affairs). I have industry certifications and I hold a secret level DOD clearance, if that will help, I don't really know.

Activities: I had to work 30+ hours a week when I was an undergrad to pay for school, so I didn't participate in extra-curricular
actitivities, other than 2 years of Martial arts, I am half way to earning my black sash in Kung-Fu.

Demographics: I am married with 2 children and will be 30 when I matriculate.

I am shooting for the following programs

1. Georgetown (evening)
2. Maryland (evening or weekend)
3. George Washington (evening)

Thanks,

John

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:6 members

by Scottie@VeritasPrep » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:18 pm
I think that you are a competitive applicant for the programs you are considering. Your undergraduate and graduate GPAs will both be considered and they are both in the competitive range. I agree that you should utilize the optional essay to discuss your lower GPA at the beginning of undergrad. Admissions committees are usually pretty understanding about lower GPAs at the beginning of undergrad as long as you "recovered" towards the end.

Overall, you have what it takes to create a strong application package esp. if you do well on the GMAT. Though you don't have a lot of extracurricular activities, you should talk about kung fu and how it strengthens your focus and leadership and helps you set goals, etc. Think of your application as a marketing package in which you highlight all your strengths and show how you are unique from other applicants. Best of luck!
Scottie Winslow | Admissions Consultant |
Veritas Prep

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options