Profile Advice - 760 GMAT / Veteran / 2Years Retail Banking

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi,

Just completed my GMAT and got a 760, Q49 V44 and am awaiting IR and AWA scores. Based on the strength of my score, several people have recommended that I apply to top US schools and I would really appreciate some insight regarding my application.

About me:

- 25 year old Asian male, Canadian citizenship
- B.Commerce from University of Toronto (GPA 2.44/4)

Work experience in chronological order:
- Various retail banking roles during undergrad, Cash Management Analyst working for large Canadian bank upon graduation. Stayed for 1 year (considered top talent in that role)
- Infantry Officer - Canadian Forces, top graduate of my training program but I left after a year for reasons that will be stated below
- Entrepreneurship - Started a made to measure menswear company that turned profitable after 3 months, been working on that this last year

I want to leverage an MBA to launch a career in management consulting or investment banking. I know I need to make up my mind soon about what stream I'm truly targeting but I wanted to ask someone if I stand a chance applying to top US schools or if I'm just wasting my time and money. The low undergrad GPA and early retirement from the military can be addressed in my essay, I had extenuating personal circumstances. '

Any insight would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance for any responses!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:28 members

by Heidi Granner » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:51 am
Hi Blackboard,

Thanks for your post.

Congratulations on a strong GMAT score! Your score will certainly help your candidacy at top business schools, but it will be important that your entire application and interview weave a strong story as well to ultimately gain admission.

Your undergraduate GPA appears to be the biggest weakness in your application. There will be space provided in an "optional essay" section of the application to explain extenuating circumstances. That said, I strongly recommend enrolling in a part-time college course (quantitative business such as Finance or Economics) and getting an A in the class in order to show your dedication to academics. UCLA Extension has great online offerings.

Your early leave from the military will also be important to address in the Optional Essay. Showcasing your entrepreneurial skills will be an asset to your application.

Your early leave from the military will also be important to address in the Optional Essay. Showcasing your entrepreneurial skills will be an asset to your application.

Your decision on whether to target management consulting or investment banking will help in focusing your school selection. I suggest reviewing the school's employment reports to better understand placement in each of these areas.

Good luck!
Heidi
Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our award-winning blog for daily MBA admissions updates
Use our b-schools dashboard for your MBA program research
Download our publications on b-schools and admissions strategy
Visit our MBA interview archive to read and share interview insights