School Suggestions Please!

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

School Suggestions Please!

by mbahopeful22 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:21 am
GMAT: 710 (47Q, 41V, 6AWA)

GPA: 3.03 in Finance from top 10 undergraduate business program (while working at career center and doing marketing research)

WE: 4 years (5 at matriculation): 1 year in consumer-IT program (exposure to project mgmt and internal marketing/comms IT); 3 years as a business analyst in technology at top BB bank and promoted in less than 2. Heavily involved in undergraduate recruiting in both positions. Both at "prestigious" firms.

ECs: Undergrad - 2 years volunteer in tutoring/mentoring program aimed at mitigating exposure to violence by providing an alternative after-school haven. Undergrad business club-- led initiative to promote recycling by educating and instilling best practices/forming habits in youth.
Post-grad - involved in firm's 'green' initiative to promote best environmental practices in the office and community. Leadership position at firm's business resource group for women.

Demographic: Asian Female, probably 27 at matriculation

Ideally would like to get into strategy/consulting, with an emphasis on leveraging technology in the consumer/retail sector to drive business. I have exposure/experience in IT/marketing/finance/project management and want to get an MBA to bridge these areas to position me into strategy.

What schools should I consider/do I have a chance at? Any thoughts/tips/criticisms would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:750

by Vincent Ho-Tin-Noe » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:21 am
Dear mbahopeful22,

You definitely have a lot of good things going for you: a 700+ GMAT with a pretty balanced score, solid work experience at prestigious firms in roles that are compatible with your post MBA goals, and EC's that will allow you demonstrate leadership and tell great stories in your essays and interviews.
Your somewhat low GPA might be a concern, but your GMAT should compensate to a large extent. Therefore I'd advise you to really focus on your strengths in your essays, and avoid "apologizing" too much for your GPA: your professional experience and GMAT score should be sufficient proof that you can handle a rigorous curriculum.

If by strategy consulting you mean MBB, then targeting a top 15-20 MBA is a must. Although top 5 schools might be a stretch, I can definitely see you get into solid programs such as Duke, Michigan, Cornell, Yale, UCLA, or even Kellogg. As you know, making predictions is impossible, but I think you have a shot at these schools, provided that you're able to demonstrate outstanding accomplishments through your work or ECs.

Good luck!

Vincent
Vincent Ho-Tin-Noe (HBS '13)
CEO and co-founder
MBA Admissions Advisors LLC
www.mbaadmissionsadvisors.com

Get an immediate assessment of your odds at top MBA programs, try our algorithm for free: https://www.mbaadmissionsadvisors.com/mb ... algorithm/