Apply this year or next year to MBA?

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Apply this year or next year to MBA?

by dpw28 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:45 pm
Hello - I'm looking for some feedback on my application dilemma at the moment, so all responses are appreciated!

I've tried to highlight what I view as important below.

My background:
28 year old EU citizen, living in NY
"¢ 3 year undergraduate degree in business/marketing, with year 3 spent studying abroad in different EU country.
Lived and worked for 5 years in that different country, setting up two companies along the way.
"¢ For the last year of the 5, at the same time as starting a company, I completed a Masters in Finance
"¢ I've worked in Finance in NYC in a mid-sized investment management company ($7bn AUM) as an investment analyst since 2011
"¢ EC activities: volunteer with a non-profit since 2011 teaching financial education to low income New Yorkers
"¢ I will be applying as an international student (green card in process)
Undergraduate GPA - 3.2 approx. (I have not officially converted it yet)
Graduate GPA - 2.9 ( I was setting up a company at the same time)
"¢ Anticipated GMAT - 700+ (I won't apply if its lower)

So my question is this: do I apply now or wait another year to improve my resume.

My goal is a top 10 ranked MBA. I feel that anything less than that will not give me the salary bump and/or career progression opportunities that would compensate for the direct and indirect MBA costs.

Factors to consider:

"¢ I have a financial certification exam that I need to take, with two tests spread out over the next six months. This will take up a lot of my spare time. My plan is to start studying for my GMAT next April/May, with an eye on a round one application. Or studying this in October this year for 2 months with GMAT in December.
"¢ The non-profit group I work with has an opening on the board, which I may be taking and increasing my role within the org.
"¢ My green card should arrive summer 2014. If it is late, it may jeopardize my financing options for the MBA.

Assuming I apply this year for 2014 admission, I will be 29 when classes start, and 30 when classes start if I defer it another year. Will my age become a large impediment at that point?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:54 am
Hi there,

Thanks for all the info - it's very helpful! The short answer is - wait. I know you're concerned about your age but two things:

1) At the top 3 - 4 programs where age works against you, you're already past the threshold so it doesn't matter, another year won't hurt you further
2) If you rush to take your certification exams, GMATs, and work on your apps this fall, you're going to effectively shoot yourself in the foot.

You've got a great profile and some really cool experiences to pull from during the application process. Don't rush it now and put yourself in a position where you haven't enabled your own success.

From your resume standpoint, taking the board position would be great but overall, it's strong enough as it is. So focus this year on the GMAT - you may need to take it more than once. Who knows? Given your GPAs, you really need to do well on it (even if you were setting up companies).

I hope that helps - you've got a really strong profile and at this point, really just focus on the home stretch!

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by dpw28 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:43 pm
Thanks for the reply!

While you have indicated your opinion as to the relative value of waiting a year to prepare the application, how about the overall probability of getting into a top 5 MBA?

Or if you think the profile appeals to particular programs?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:19 pm
My pleasure! So that's hard to say - and I know you hate hearing that - but you haven't taken the GMAT yet. And without that, there's NO way to tell if you'd get into a top 5 program.

Overall, however, your profile is pretty strong. It's very difficult to give a good answer between "you have a shot at the top 10" and "you have a shot at the top 5".

What I will say is this - if you GMAT is really strong, then you should absolutely apply to 1 or 2 programs in the top 5.

Does that help?

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!