Tough bold face question

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

Tough bold face question

by \'manpreet singh » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:31 pm
In countries where automobile insurance includes compensation for whiplash injuries sustained in
automobile accidents, reports of having suffered such injuries are twice as frequent as they are in
countries where whiplash is not covered. Presently, no objective test for whiplash exists, so it is true that spurious reports of whiplash injuries cannot be readily identifi ed. Nevertheless, these facts do not warrant the conclusion drawn by some commentators that in the countries with the higher rates of reported whiplash injuries, half of the reported cases are spurious. Clearly, in countries where automobile insurance does not include compensation for whiplash, people often have little incentive to report whiplash injuries that they actually have suffered.

In the argument given, the two boldfaced portions play which of the following roles?
(A) The fi rst is a claim that the argument disputes; the second is a conclusion that has been based on that claim.
(B) The fi rst is a claim that has been used to support a conclusion that the argument accepts; the second is that conclusion.
(C) The fi rst is evidence that has been used to support a conclusion for which the argument provides further evidence; the second is the main conclusion of the argument.
(D) The first is a fi nding whose implications are at issue in the argument; the second is a claim presented in order to argue against deriving certain implications from that fi nding.
(E) The first is a fi nding whose accuracy is evaluated in the argument; the second is evidence presented to establish that the fi nding is accurate.

Ans D
Last edited by \'manpreet singh on Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by theunheardmelody » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:32 am
Can you please "bold" the part that we need to talk about?? Thanks

Followed by:7 members
GMAT Score:730

by faraz_jeddah » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:21 pm
Yeah that is really a tough question :shock: :lol:

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:07 pm
There are many versions of this question going around...This is the correct one from the GMATPrep software. The answer choices here are the correct answer choices as well.

In countries where automobile insurance includes compensation
for whiplash injuries sustained in automobile accidents, reports of
having suffered such injuries are twice as frequent as they are in
countries where whiplash is not covered. Some commentators
have argued, correctly, that since there is presently no
objective test for whiplash
, spurious reports of whiplash
injuries cannot be readily identified. These commentators are,
however, wrong to draw the further conclusion that in the
countries with the higher rates of reported whiplash injuries, half of
the reported cases are spurious
: clearly, in countries where
automobile insurance does not include compensation for whiplash,
people often have little incentive to report whiplash injuries that
they actually have suffered.

In the argument given, the two boldfaced portions play which of the
following roles?

A: The first is evidence that has been used to support a conclusion
that the argument criticizes; the second is that conclusion

B: The first is evidence that has been used to support a conclusion
that the argument criticizes; the second is the position that the
argument defends

C: The first is a claim that has been used to support a conclusion
that the argument accepts; the second is the position that the argument defends

D: The first is an intermediate conclusion that has been used to
support a conclusion that the argument defends; the second is
the position that the argument opposes.

E: The first presents a claim that is disputed in the argument; the
second is a conclusion that has been drawn on the basis of that
claim.

So now what is the correct answer on this one?
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by abhijeet_g » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:50 am
OA is A.

The first bold statement -"there is presently no
objective test for whiplash "
-is the evidence used by the commentators to conclude that
"countries with the higher rates of reported whiplash injuries, half of
the reported cases are spurious"
,but criticized by the argument.

GMAT Instructor

by David@VeritasPrep » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:44 am
OA is A.

Nice job Abhijeet!

Veritas Prep Reviews

by abhijeet_g » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:17 pm
Thanks a lot for your response David. I wanted to check if my logic worked correct as I feel for me it is easier to answer Bold questions as compared to questions of other CR categories.
By the way, veritasprep question bank and CR 2 book helped me improve my accuaracy in CR. :-)

GMAT Instructor

by David@VeritasPrep » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:35 am
Bold-faced questions are a bit more like sentence correction in the sense of having multiple ways to eliminate answer choices and being able to eliminate more than one choice at a time. Also on these questions you are simply stating what the argument is doing rather than supplying your own premise so maybe that is why you feel that these are easier.

I am glad that the Veritas materials have helped! Have you tried our new practice test? (It is currently available for free)? We have gotten some really good reviews on the accuracy of this one.... https://www.veritasprep.com/gmat/free-gm ... tice-test/

And for anyone that has not visited the Veritas question bank that you mentioned the link is https://www.veritasprep.com/gmat-question-bank/

Veritas Prep Reviews

by abhijeet_g » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:06 am
Thanks David :-)

Followed by:3 members

by \'manpreet singh » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:22 pm
The answer in OG12 is D not A.Though A is what i also thought!

by abhijeet_g » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:02 pm
I have posted reply to David's question that he made bold faced as previously the question was posted without any bold face :-). David's question has different options from those of yours.

Kindly see the question posted by you and David in this post. Well,there can be several ways the options can be changed for the same bold face question. :-)

GMAT Instructor

by David@VeritasPrep » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:55 am
Abhijeet is right! There are many versions of this question. The version I posted is from the GMATPrep and the answer is A.

The version you posted manpreet now does have the bold faced indicated (thanks!) but the options are different from the one I posted. It may be that the answer to your question is D, but the answer to the one I posted is A.

This CR stuff gets confusing with all of the versions out there!

David

Veritas Prep Reviews

by bharath2787 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:34 am
IMO : D. isn't it the right answer. shady question though.

A, B , C can be eliminated as second bold statement clearly isnt the conclusion of the argument!
Bharath

GMAT Instructor

by David@VeritasPrep » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:03 pm
when posting to this thread please specify which version you are discussing. The version that I posted is from the GMATPrep and I can verify the accuracy.

The other version that begins this thread is NOT ACCURATE. The portions in bold face are not currently correct. I urge Manpreet Singh to edit the post that begins this thread to show the correct bold faced portion as reflected in the Official Guide.

Here is the correct version as found in OG 13 (question 78) and OG 12 (question 79):

In countries where automobile insurance includes compensation for whiplash injuries sustained in automobile accidents, reports of having suffered such injuries are twice as frequent as they are in countries where whiplash is not covered. Presently, no objective test for whiplash exists, so it is true that spurious reports of whiplash injuries cannot be readily identifi ed. Nevertheless, these facts do not warrant the conclusion drawn by some commentators that in the countries with the higher rates of reported whiplash injuries, half of the reported cases are spurious. Clearly, in countries where automobile insurance does not include compensation for whiplash, people often have little incentive to report whiplash injuries that they actually have suffered.

In the argument given, the two boldfaced portions play which of the following roles?
(A) The first is a claim that the argument disputes; the second is a conclusion that has been based on that claim.
(B) The first is a claim that has been used to support a conclusion that the argument accepts; the second is that conclusion.
(C) The first is evidence that has been used to support a conclusion for which the argument provides further evidence; the second is the main conclusion of the argument.
(D) The first is a finding whose implications are at issue in the argument; the second is a claim presented in order to argue against deriving certain implications from that finding.
(E) The first is a finding whose accuracy is evaluated in the argument; the second is evidence presented to establish that the finding is accurate.

OA D

I urge everyone to take care when posting questions.

Veritas Prep Reviews

by bharath2787 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:49 pm
Thanks David.. This makes perfect sense now..

3rd sentence is the conclusion, last sentence (bold faced)is accurately described in Ans D
Bharath