How to get to Q50/51 (>90%ile) from Q49 (<90%ile)? Any

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
I took the real test and received Q49. I did not skip a single question because of timing and did not let a single question go (other than one) because I did not know what to do. End result, still ended up with Q49. Now, what you all suggest me to do to get to 50/51 range?

What is the difference between Q49 test taker and Q50/51 test taker?

Thanks,
BC

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:41 pm
Seeing that you felt like you knew how to do each of those questions, I think that you just have to be that much more careful.

The 50 to 51 scorer is very comfortable with the different problem types and can be very careful to always answer the correct question, to always keep things like zero and non-integers in mind and be sure not to make any assumptions, especially on Data Sufficiency.

It is possible to feel like you can do the problem, to understand exactly how to do it, but forget a small detail, again especially on Data Sufficiency.

Do your practice tests show you anything? Did you miss DS more than PS? On your practice tests did you even miss questions that you felt like you had answered correctly?

The GMAT does not go beyond a certain complexity of topics and concepts on either the verbal or the Quant, instead they just make it more likely that someone will make a mistake.

Does that make sense?
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by bellcurve » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:07 pm
David,

Thank you very much for your response. I had problems like the one you mentioned where I used to overlook a small little critical words such as "integer", I think I have cured that now.

I have completed all the official gmat material out there from gprep question pack to OG 9 through 13 to supplements. I know no matter how many times you repeat those OGs, you will always find information, but how do you think I should proceed in my next preparation? What should I do? Any insights would be really helpful.

Thanks,
BC