Strategy for Verbal : GMAT scheduled on 24.06.13

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
My dear friends and seniors,

It is close to 3 months for me to write GMAT exam, considering either its now or never I have scheduled GMAT on 24.06.2013. In these 3 months I won't be able to study for about 22 days coz of some priorities in Job and home.

Quant Score is ~42 / 40 :| and verbal score is pathetic ~15. :shock:

I seriously need some strategy for VERBAL so that I will be able to get the desired results in actual GMAT. Here I request you to please share your suggestions / experiences / preferred books and if possible some guidelines.

My Target Score is 720.

Thank you so much.

Best regards, A S

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members

by Dan@VinciaPrep » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:35 am
Hi A S,
The most improvable part on the verbal section for most people is the sentence correction section. I would get the Manhattan GMAT book and read it several times. I've seen that some people like the SC flashcards from BTG as well.

As for the reading section, it would be good to read a strategy book that
1) shows you how to take notes or map the passage
2) shows you the common wrong answers
3) shows you the common question types

I've gone through the Manhattan book for this and thought it was ok, but not excellent. You may be better off finding a tutor for additional help.

As for the critical reasoning, I actually like Kaplan's book about this section because it's concise. However, there are other more in depth books like the CR bible.

After you read some strategy books the most important thing you can do is practice and learn from your mistakes. When I say practice, I mean that you have to read and review for at least several hours a day if you want to make a major improvement on your score.

Good luck!
Dan
If my post helped you- let me know by pushing the thanks button ;)

I'm a private tutor in Paris, I provide online and in person consulting for the GMAT and MBA application essays.
GMAT tutor paris
Prepa GMAT