MD looking to switch careers

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

MD looking to switch careers

by mhightow » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:53 pm
Hi Stacy,

Just took the GMAT today and wondering if I should retake it to make my application more competitive.

My stats: African American female, practicing physician (internal medicine and pediatrics), looking to switch careers (long story, which I hope to make compelling during the essay). GPA 3.3 from Cornell Univ. (combo of engineering and premed classes). GPA 3.8 from University of Rochester, MPH. Med school - University of Rochester. Excelled in medicine, lots of awards. Excelled in residency, lots of awards. 1 year of private practice. GMAT 650.

Goal: EMBA at Wharton (SF location) or UC Berkeley (don't want to travel).

Should I take the GMAT again? I just had a baby - Can probably do better with effort.
MBAMomma

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:14 am
Dear MBAMomma,

I would encourage you to contact the admissions office for these two programs for clarification on whether you need to retake the GMAT. Since you are applying to EMBA programs and have your MD, it might not be an issue. EMBA programs do not always put the same emphasis on the GMAT as traditional MBA programs, especially if the applicant has another masters or doctorate. I'm thinking you will be fine with your current score, but it would be best for you to contact them directly.

Best of luck (with everything!),
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me