720 as a Military Officer . . . Retake?

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

720 as a Military Officer . . . Retake?

by romeopapa » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:26 pm
Title says it all almost, looking at the obvious candidates in the top 5. Finishing up a 6 year term of service, looking at the 2014 deadline so loads of time to do a retake if necessary. That being said, worth taking a month to restudy and try and get a higher score? Any experts out there as far as what doors a 750 would open (my last practice test before I took it) versus a possible 710 or 690 popping up due to a really bad test?

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:120 members
GMAT Score:770

by Tommy Wallach » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:58 pm
Hey Romeo,

Well done, both on the service and the 720. To answer your question succinctly: nope. At the 720 level, there's really no reason to study and try to get higher. You already fall into the "good GMAT score" category. The schools don't really care beyond that. Honestly. Unless your GPA is absolutely terrible, in which case maybe it would be worth a tiny itty-bitty bit. But for 99.999% of people, a 720 is totally good enough, and trying to go higher is just a waste of time. Enjoy your free weekends and weekday evenings!

-t
Tommy Wallach, Company Expert
ManhattanGMAT

If you found this posting mega-helpful, feel free to thank and/or follow me!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members
GMAT Score:700

by hemant_rajput » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:12 am
Tommy Wallach wrote:Hey Romeo,

Well done, both on the service and the 720. To answer your question succinctly: nope. At the 720 level, there's really no reason to study and try to get higher. You already fall into the "good GMAT score" category. The schools don't really care beyond that. Honestly. Unless your GPA is absolutely terrible, in which case maybe it would be worth a tiny itty-bitty bit. But for 99.999% of people, a 720 is totally good enough, and trying to go higher is just a waste of time. Enjoy your free weekends and weekday evenings!

-t
there is no like option in forum so just posting my like for the comment, in fact super-like.:-)

Congrats Romeo, well done :-)
I'm no expert, just trying to work on my skills. If I've made any mistakes please bear with me.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by AbhiJ » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:43 am
If you are from Asia, a retake may be advisable, especially if you are targeting Top 5 schools where the average is 720+.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:120 members

by Tommy Wallach » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:47 pm
Hey AbhiJ,

I can't speak exactly to the issue of being from an Asian country, but it doesn't sound like it applies in this case. And even if it did, I've never heard of a school making a big deal about a 720 versus a 740, or something like that. At that score level, it comes down to things like work experience, reference letters, and GPA.

Good luck!

-t
Tommy Wallach, Company Expert
ManhattanGMAT

If you found this posting mega-helpful, feel free to thank and/or follow me!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:266 members

by Jim@StratusPrep » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:03 pm
Agreed. No reason to take it again. Focus on developing your application.
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review