a tale of two cities

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

a tale of two cities

by pradeepkaushal9518 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:52 am
By the year 2000, A Tale of Two Cities, Charles Dickens' gripping book portraying the suffering of the proletariat under the brutal subjugation of the French aristocracy had around 200 million copies in print, making it more than that of almost any other English book ever written.
A) book portraying the suffering of the proletariat under the brutal subjugation of the French aristocracy had around 200 million copies in print, making it more than
B) book portraying the suffering of the proletariat under the brutal subjugation of the French aristocracy had around 200 million copies in print, which is more than
C) book portraying the suffering of the proletariat under the brutal subjugation of the French aristocracy, had around 200 million copies in print, more than
D) book portraying the suffering of the proletariat under the brutal subjugation of the French aristocracy, had around 200 million copies in print, making it more than
E) book portraying the suffering of the proletariat under the brutal subjugation of the French aristocracy had around 200 million copies in print and is more than

plz explain the answer

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by Shawshank » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:00 am
pradeepkaushal9518 wrote:By the year 2000, A Tale of Two Cities, Charles Dickens' gripping book portraying the suffering of the proletariat under the brutal subjugation of the French aristocracy had around 200 million copies in print, making it more than that of almost any other English book ever written.
A) book portraying the suffering of the proletariat under the brutal subjugation of the French aristocracy had around 200 million copies in print, making it more than
B) book portraying the suffering of the proletariat under the brutal subjugation of the French aristocracy had around 200 million copies in print, which is more than
C) book portraying the suffering of the proletariat under the brutal subjugation of the French aristocracy, had around 200 million copies in print, more than -- CORRECT
D) book portraying the suffering of the proletariat under the brutal subjugation of the French aristocracy, had around 200 million copies in print, making it more than
E) book portraying the suffering of the proletariat under the brutal subjugation of the French aristocracy had around 200 million copies in print and is more than

plz explain the answer
IMO -- C
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Shawshank Redemtion -- Hope is still alive ...

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:570

by reply2spg » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:02 am
Don't you think it is good to underline the question. Think if the same question comes in GMAT and you have to answer in 1 minute....can you do that? Please value others time as well.
pradeepkaushal9518 wrote:By the year 2000, A Tale of Two Cities, Charles Dickens' gripping book portraying the suffering of the proletariat under the brutal subjugation of the French aristocracy had around 200 million copies in print, making it more than that of almost any other English book ever written.
C) book portraying the suffering of the proletariat under the brutal subjugation of the French aristocracy, had around 200 million copies in print, more than

plz explain the answer

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by sumanr84 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:08 am
IMO:C

Pls always underline the Q and follow that religiously.

Check explanation below,
https://www.beatthegmat.com/tale-of-two- ... f41f948e1f

Try to do a search before posting Q and if you are still not clear with the explanation posted then pls open the same thread..
I am on a break !!

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:570

by reply2spg » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:09 am
Ok let me do a favor on you...

A) book portraying the suffering of the proletariat under the brutal subjugation of the French aristocracy had around 200 million copies in print, making it more than - Incorrect - 'it' doesn't have any reference

B) book portraying the suffering of the proletariat under the brutal subjugation of the French aristocracy had around 200 million copies in print, which is more than - Incorrect - which is referring to Print - eliminate

C) book portraying the suffering of the proletariat under the brutal subjugation of the French aristocracy, had around 200 million copies in print, more than - Correct - proper comparison

D) book portraying the suffering of the proletariat under the brutal subjugation of the French aristocracy, had around 200 million copies in print, making it more than - Incorrect - same as A

E) book portraying the suffering of the proletariat under the brutal subjugation of the French aristocracy had around 200 million copies in print and is more than - Incorrect - no need of 'and'

plz explain the answer

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aditya8062 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:23 pm
i am quoting the question again :
By the year 2000, A Tale of Two Cities, Charles Dickens' gripping book portraying the suffering of the proletariat under the brutal subjugation of the French aristocracy had around 200 million copies in print, making it more than that of almost any other English book ever written.
the OA seems to be C but i have an issue here with the expression "that of" . i have read in many post of Ron that "that of Y " can be used in parallel to either "noun of X" or "X's noun" .now whats bothering me is the fact that neither of these expressions exists in the sentence where as
"that of " has been used in the non underlined portion of the sentence
can instructors plz help me
thanks and regards
aditya

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by vishalbpr » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:35 am
It refer's to book not print. So while comparing statement is as follows
making the book more than that of almost any other... So comparison is incorrect.

Another problem is with comma... who had around 200 million copies in print.

Need to have Comma to make sentence clearer.
(I am not sure about what is which referring to.... Does "which" refer to "200 million copies in print"-phrase or "print"-none - Could someone explain? )

Correct

it refers to book..

Both the statements must not be connected with AND.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:120 members
GMAT Score:770

by Tommy Wallach » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:39 pm
Aditya,

You are totally right.

Dammit. Is this Platinum GMAT again? We've found a number of errors in their material, so be careful when working with it.

(C) is really questionable here. There is no referent for "that," as you correctly pointed out, Aditya. It wants to be "the number of copies," but that isn't actually in the sentence. Also the "it" is totally unclear; it's expletive, I guess, but that doesn't make much sense.

Ignore this questions (IMHO).

-t
Tommy Wallach, Company Expert
ManhattanGMAT

If you found this posting mega-helpful, feel free to thank and/or follow me!

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aditya8062 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:09 pm
good day Sir ,
thanks for confirming my doubts .As for the source ,i am not sure but yes as suggested by you i will leave this question
thanks and regards
aditya

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by SueD » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:56 am
If you are going to list a question, please underline the parts that we are being asked to comment on, otherwise it is crap shoot. Thanks.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:120 members
GMAT Score:770

by Tommy Wallach » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:59 pm
Hey Sue,

As annoying as it is, most people who post questions on here neglect to use the weird HTML code buttons to locate the underlined portion. However, remember you can always use the answer choices to isolate the section that's meant to be underlined. Then, you can paste it into a document if you really need to see it that way to do the question. Annoying, I know! : )

-t
Tommy Wallach, Company Expert
ManhattanGMAT

If you found this posting mega-helpful, feel free to thank and/or follow me!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by SueD » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:54 pm
wouldn't that be inconveniencing me? Extra work it seems.