Help with preparation

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Help with preparation

by Harsh22 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:00 am
Hi All,

I gave GMAT today and the scores are very bad( Quant 44, Verbal 23, Total : 560), I am planning to give the exam again. Kindly help me as to how can I improve my scores( materials that can be referred for GMAT difficulty level) and what should be the ideal time to give the test again.

Regards,

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:120 members
GMAT Score:770

by Tommy Wallach » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:16 am
Hey Harsh,

We get a lot of questions like this one on the forum. The first thing you could do is simply browse through this strategy section and see everything that's been posted. However, I want to make clear that getting better on the GMAT involves first learning fundamentals (by reading books published by a reputable company), then focusing on your weak points (with books, class, or lots of practice), and finally practicing a ton. There's no secret weapon. In your case, your quant score is already pretty good, so you should be focusing most of your time on verbal. To do that, buy some books by a good company, and make sure you integrate every new technique you find in those books. I promise it'll work!

-t

P.S. As for when to take a test, you shouldn't take another test until you've learned a whole bunch more. It's not a question of time, but a question of work. : )
Tommy Wallach, Company Expert
ManhattanGMAT

If you found this posting mega-helpful, feel free to thank and/or follow me!

by Harsh22 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:58 am
Hi Tommy,

Thanks for the input, regarding the books I referred, I had referred OG 12 for the exam which I gave. Can you suggest some other books that I can buy? One of my problem areas is sentence correction, I used to get most of the CRs correct in OG but somehow that also did not work in the exam. I have read that kaplan and manhattan are good books. Also, I am looking at the free tests available on the forum for better practice.

Appreciate your help..

Regards,
Harsh

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:8 members
GMAT Score:730

by vomhorizon » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:25 am
You clearly went into the exam under-prepared. The good things is that there is only one way your score can go from here...I would purchase the Manhattan strategy guide for SC , and would read it cover to cover (at least 2 times). You can use the questions on this forum for practice, or refer to the OG12/13 . You may also want to acquire the OG Verbal 2nd edition for some more SC practice (as well as CR and RC). For quant you can consult MGMAT guides or use the BTG study guide.
"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful." - Eric Thomas

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:120 members
GMAT Score:770

by Tommy Wallach » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:48 am
Great Advice from Vom,

I'm obviously a big fan of our books, having been involved with them for a good long time. But I always say that a dedicated student can see massive improvement if they work hard and use the books by any reputable company. The issue is not to see improvement as some mysterious thing. You need to learn some new techniques, memorize some new rules, and then just spend many, many hours practicing!

-t
Tommy Wallach, Company Expert
ManhattanGMAT

If you found this posting mega-helpful, feel free to thank and/or follow me!

by Harsh22 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:34 am
Hi,

Thanks Vom..thanks Tommy.... I just checked on one of the sites for the sentence correction, there are two books from Manhattan for sentence correction -> Manhattan GMAT Sentence correction guide : 5th edition and sentence correction GMAT strategy guide 4th edition. Which one shall I buy..?

Appreciate your help.

Thanks & Regards,
Harsh

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:93 members
GMAT Score:750

by brianlange77 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:39 pm
Harsh22 wrote:Hi,

Thanks Vom..thanks Tommy.... I just checked on one of the sites for the sentence correction, there are two books from Manhattan for sentence correction -> Manhattan GMAT Sentence correction guide : 5th edition and sentence correction GMAT strategy guide 4th edition. Which one shall I buy..?

Appreciate your help.

Thanks & Regards,
Harsh
You should be good with either one... the fifth is just a little fresher.

Merci, Danke, Grazie, Gracias -- Whichever way you say it, if you found my post helpful, please click on the 'thank' icon in the top right corner of this post.

And I encourage you to click on 'follow' to track all my posts -- all the cool kids are doing it! :-)