Probability trouble!

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Probability trouble!

by viveksingh222 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:50 pm
A man is known to speak truth 3 out of 4 times. He throws a die and reports that it is a six. The probability that it is actually six is
1. 1/8
2. 2/8
3. 3/8
4. 1/2

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by RajeshP » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:55 am
viveksingh222 wrote:A man is known to speak truth 3 out of 4 times. He throws a die and reports that it is a six. The probability that it is actually six is
1. 1/8
2. 2/8
3. 3/8
4. 1/2

It should be Prob. of '6' * Prob. of truth = 1/6*3/4=1/8. A

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:355 members
GMAT Score:780

by Ian Stewart » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:06 am
Under any reasonable interpretation of the question, the answer should be 3/4. The answer is only equal to 3/8 if you make the ridiculous assumption that every time the man lies, he says "I rolled a six" - that is, the answer is only 3/8 if you assume the man will never lie by saying "I rolled a three" or "I rolled a five". I don't know why you would assume that from the wording of the question, so it's a badly designed question.

But we can answer the question they intended:

* 1/6 of the time the man rolls a six, and 3/4 of those times he tells the truth, so 3/24 of the time, he claims to have rolled a six and is telling the truth

* assuming when he lies he always claims to have rolled a six, then 5/6 of the time the man rolls something other than six, and 1/4 of the time he lies and pretends to have rolled a six, so 5/24 of the time, he claims to have rolled a six and is lying

So when he claims to have rolled a six, the ratio of the times he's telling the truth to the times he's lying is 3/24 to 5/24, or 3 to 5, and the probability he's telling the truth is thus 3/8.
For online GMAT math tutoring, or to buy my higher-level Quant books and problem sets, contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

ianstewartgmat.com

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by cking6178 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:01 am
Ian Stewart wrote:Under any reasonable interpretation of the question, the answer should be 3/4. The answer is only equal to 3/8 if you make the ridiculous assumption that every time the man lies, he says "I rolled a six" - that is, the answer is only 3/8 if you assume the man will never lie by saying "I rolled a three" or "I rolled a five". I don't know why you would assume that from the wording of the question, so it's a badly designed question.

But we can answer the question they intended:

* 1/6 of the time the man rolls a six, and 3/4 of those times he tells the truth, so 3/24 of the time, he claims to have rolled a six and is telling the truth

* assuming when he lies he always claims to have rolled a six, then 5/6 of the time the man rolls something other than six, and 1/4 of the time he lies and pretends to have rolled a six, so 5/24 of the time, he claims to have rolled a six and is lying

So when he claims to have rolled a six, the ratio of the times he's telling the truth to the times he's lying is 3/24 to 5/24, or 3 to 5, and the probability he's telling the truth is thus 3/8.
Ian, I'm not following your explanation...also, this problem should not be on this forum, as this is data sufficiency, not problem solving...but back to the problem at hand...the problem asks for the probability that this man actually rolled a 6. To calculate that probability, you simply multiply the probability that he is telling the truth (3/4) to the probability of rolling a 6 (1/6) - thus the answer should be 1/8. I feel like you made this problem more complicated than what was asked, but maybe I'm the one missing something.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Ian Stewart » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:09 am
cking6178 wrote: To calculate that probability, you simply multiply the probability that he is telling the truth (3/4) to the probability of rolling a 6 (1/6) - thus the answer should be 1/8. I feel like you made this problem more complicated than what was asked, but maybe I'm the one missing something.
No, you would multiply 3/4 by 1/6 if you wanted to know the probability that he both rolled a six and told the truth about it. That's not what the question asks. Here, all we know is that he reports that he rolled a six. He may have done so and told the truth, or he may have rolled, say, a two and lied. So we need to work out how often, when he actually rolls a six, he reports that he rolled a six, and how often, when he doesn't roll a six, that he claims that he does.

This question is a conditional probability question, and it is not at all similar to any real GMAT questions I've seen, so I wouldn't worry about it much.
For online GMAT math tutoring, or to buy my higher-level Quant books and problem sets, contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

ianstewartgmat.com

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Ian Stewart » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:01 am
cking6178 wrote:
To calculate that probability, you simply multiply the probability that he is telling the truth (3/4) to the probability of rolling a 6 (1/6) - thus the answer should be 1/8. I feel like you made this problem more complicated than what was asked, but maybe I'm the one missing something.
In case my post above was unclear, it might be easier to see why it is incorrect to simply multiply those two probabilities by looking at a simpler example, since the dice example is not at all intuitive. Suppose a man who lies 1/2 the time flips a coin, and tells you he got Heads. What's the probability he actually got Heads? If you just multiply the probability of getting Heads by the probability this man tells the truth, you'd think the answer is 1/4 here, but it's not.

Notice there are four different possible outcomes here, each of which will happen exactly 1/4 of the time:

he gets Heads and says he got Heads
he gets Tails and says he got Heads
he gets Heads and says he got Tails
he gets Tails and says he got Tails

So when he says he got Heads, it's equally likely that he got Heads or that he got Tails. So the answer is 1/2.

ianstewartgmat.com

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by cking6178 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:24 am
Ian Stewart Wrote:
No, you would multiply 3/4 by 1/6 if you wanted to know the probability that he both rolled a six and told the truth about it. That's not what the question asks. Here, all we know is that he reports that he rolled a six. He may have done so and told the truth, or he may have rolled, say, a two and lied. So we need to work out how often, when he actually rolls a six, he reports that he rolled a six, and how often, when he doesn't roll a six, that he claims that he does.

This question is a conditional probability question, and it is not at all similar to any real GMAT questions I've seen, so I wouldn't worry about it much.

Thanks for the clarification...I see the difference...My brain is fried - DS questions will be the death of me on Saturday (my GMAT day of reckoning) (even though this isn't technically a DS question & according to you it's not a GMAT type question either)....thanks again for the clarification.